Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youtube video - DA42 IFR into Frankfurt in heavy weather

I find that video and this thread just about the best l’ve ever seen.
I also like Jaunty17’s attitude towards forums!

Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Then you don’t get the irony

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Jaunty17 has commented this in the video:

I just want to address one point. A few people have indicated that they felt that I was taking undue risks by conducting this flight in this weather. They say this out of respectful concern, and I appreciate that concern. I need to make it clear however that, while I have not posted any videos of flights in this sort of conditions, I have conducted many flights in high pressure environments due to both weather and busy airspace. I was never during this flight in the least uncomfortable with my situation. I was completely in control at all times. I recognized what was going on from previous flights and had plentry of capacity to handle whatever might have come up. I would never conduct a flight where that was not the case. If you don’t yourself fly a lot of IFR in IMC, it may seem like I was “on the edge”, but that is not the case. I was, however, happy that I didn’t have any passengers, because I don’t think they would have found it very comfortable. I understand that. But for me, it was well within the envelope my experience enables me to handle. I do not encourage people to get themselves into situations they are not comfortable with, and I don’t do that either.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Peter wrote:

The ADL120 update rate is every 15 mins, as far as I can find. Is that good enough for tactical CB avoidance once you are inside a TS area?

No.

Andreas IOM

@Alioth, thank you for posting that video. A very well done one and every pilot should see it as a refresher regarding flights in the vicinity of thunderstorms. Time delayed weather mapping should like stormscopes only be used for clearly avoiding those phenomena and not trying to find a way through …

EDxx, Germany

what_next wrote:

To my knowledge, Embraer is the first manufacturer of light jets who installs a second PTT switch somewhere in the glareshield so that the pilot doesn’t need to touch the yoke while the autopilot (or the second pilot) is flying. I wonder why it took 50 years until someone came up with that…

That is really astonishing. All our planes have a (second) PTT for the copilot / instructor in the panel. I hate it having to use a yoke-mounted ptt while my student / pilot needs the yoke for gusty winds. It’s a so obvious feature…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Also European radar coverage is limited. You would not get anything for the stuff here

So if that stuff was in IMC…..

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Coolhand wrote:

Jaunty17 has commented this in the video:

Sounds like your average Facebook’er: posting stuff only to get compliments from his groupies followers and totally uninterested in any constructive critique. There may be a reason why he is always by himself; people are not stupid suicidal.

Instead he should join EuroGA and learn how to use a weather radar from the pros. Someone would care to organise a seminar on the topic?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 08 Jun 17:10
LFPT, LFPN

I couldn’t agree more!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As always, there is the “forum crowd” and the “non-forum crowd”. And both are always insulting the other, wishing the other would drop dead. That’s GA. A little more tolerance would do good.

BTW, I guess that among private pilots, the “non-forum” crowd is about 90%. Probably so high because most people have a life outside aviation.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message