Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

What happens about a GAR if a return flight to the UK is diverted by the pilot due to weather?

I have two questions actually:

1) What procedure does one have to follow after landing if one has to land at an airport different to that mentioned in the GAR / on the flight plan?

and

2) Are there any small / regular GA (non-commercial passenger transport) airports in the UK with permanently manned customs / immigration? I have seen customs officers often at Lydd (EGMD) for instance, but are they permanently there? Do GA airports such as Biggin Hill (EGKB) for instance have permanent customs stations? Does it make it easier to divert to such places if one’s planned destination is unavailable for landing for instance due to weather?

Thanks

Howard
(Currently pleasantly stuck in Munich with TSRAs in the en-route TAFs for the homeward journey to the UK)

Last Edited by Howard at 13 Jun 10:19
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

@Howard.

I called +44 300 123 2012 yesterday to postpone a Gurnsey to Southtampton flight. It’s for GAR emergencies or diversions.

The lady said to resubmit the GAR for the actual time, I did question this for the 12 notice but was told to cancel the first form and resubmit. This was over the phone advice so some caution advised.

Southend EGMC has 24hr Customs maybe phone and check first. Last time I was there landing fee approx £45 with some parking. Hotel onsite.

I can think of worse place to be stuck!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

One doesn’t need Customs for flights from the continental EU. One needs Immigration. The official GAR instructions contain a table showing the various designations for all airports. Quite a few airports have a Customs designation, but no Immigration designation.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Jun 11:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Howard wrote:

Howard
(Currently pleasantly stuck in Munich with TSRAs in the en-route TAFs for the homeward journey to the UK)

Howard, did I see your aircraft at Midden Zeeland last Thursday?

I have been trying to get to Munich for the past 3 days but not knowing the area, plus the high ground, plus the thunderstorms
have delayed me.

@quatrelle – I was at Midden Zeeland at lunchtime on Thursday 9th. A lovely place to visit. As a group, we then flew on to Bielefeld that afternoon one by one.

It’s funny that you’re trying to get in and I’m trying to get out of Munich. It’s nice here mind you.

@boscomantico – yes, you’re right once again – I wasn’t precise enough. However, my question was about the GAR form itself which covers both Customs and Immigration.

@Alex – I have that phone number in my phone. If I get diverted I’ll call them from the ground. I guess that’s the best thing. I am surprised that the GAR advisory website makes no mentions of diversions.

Thanks everyone.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard,

I suspect the answer is dependent on the police force involved.
I’ve not come across the precise situation you suggest, but I can relay two personal stories that might give some insight into the matter.

First story:
Special Branch in North Wales have a stated police of meeting every aircraft to which a GAR applies. Many years ago, I submitted a GAR for a flight landing there. It was one of my first European tours, so I was planning well in advance and sent the GAR off two weeks before departure. I didn’t realise it at the time, but I made the mistake of sending the form to the South Wales police force rather than North Wales. When I landed in Caernarfon, Special Branch were called by the airport, they told the airport that I’d not filed a GAR and that they would call over to meet me. I had to wait for 45 minutes for them to show up, then I got a lecture for another 30 minutes or so, pointing out the legislation (actually they pointed to the wrong legislation, but there wasn’t much point in arguing about that, when I was sure I’d submitted the form!). They told me that my name would go onto a list of people who’d arrived without a GAR, and that if I was caught doing that three times, then they’d prosecute me. They said that if I could prove that I’d submitted that GAR, that my name would be removed. They then proceeded to do a token search of the aircraft, and our luggage. (Nothing more than a quick look inside really.) On returning home I got my phone records, discovered that I’d sent it to South Wales police force in error, sent the phone logs from the phone company, a copy of the GAR etc to the police and never received as much as an acknowledgement.

I’ve come across other people who have flown to Caernarfon where the GAR went missing, and they seem to have gotten the lecture too.

Second Story:
I flew in Oban a few years after that. I’d filed my GAR, and had a copy of the fax receipt with me. On arrival in Oban I was told by ops that I had to call Special Branch on the telephone. When I did, they insisted that I’d landed without submitting a GAR. Obviously in this case, I stood my ground, as I had the evidence of completion with me. We had a conversation where they insisted that I hadn’t filed the GAR, and I pointed out that their fax machine confirmed to my fax machine that it had safely received the form, and that I had the evidence of that with me. Eventually they admitted that sometimes their fax machine “eats the faxes” and that was the end of that. They asked me to send them a copy of the form (by fax!), and I could go on my way.

In both of these cases, SB believed that I’d not filed the GAR. In the first one they came to meet me to give me a lecture, and the second one they were satisfied to deliver the lecture by phone and not bother calling out to meet me. So it seems that unless you’re a “repeat offender” that the most you can expect would be a stiff lecture.

But if you are forced to make an in-flight diversion, and you make contact with them when you land, I can’t imagine any serious problems other than a delay while they process the info, or call out to meet you.

I’ve heard of others who arrived in various places without submitting a GAR (and with no knowledge that a GAR was required) who received a lecture, but nothing more. But that’s second hand.

So not quite the circumstances that you ask about, but it should give you an idea of the worst case scenario.

Colm

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 13 Jun 13:59
EIWT Weston, Ireland

I would say the situation is very different. You are (usually) coming from Ireland, where police gets involved. Howard would be coming from France, so only Border Force gets involved.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I remember two angry border force guys waiting for us at Lydd when we were an hour or so late landing from France though…they gave me a phone number to call next time… +44 1303 299167…(UK Border Force Sth/SE & Europe GA Regional Control Room)

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 13 Jun 13:13
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Source Don’t know if there is a newer version of this document. From pages 3 and 4:

You are requested to submit GARs in advance to the locations and within the timescales set out in the tables. If you cannot meet the timescales due to exceptional circumstances e.g. an emergency or bad weather you should do the following:

- Border Force reportable flights: You are requested to submit the GAR as soon possible (which might be on arrival) and use a designated customs & excise airport.

- Terrorism Act 2000 reportable flights: You must use a Police designated airport.

In emergency situations pilots, operators and owners may telephone +44 (0) 845 723 1110 for advice about amending or submitting a GAR for Border Force reporting purposes. Calls should not be made to this phone number to obtain advice about amending or submitting a GAR to the Police under the Terrorism Act 2000. Emergency situations include medical emergencies, an air ambulance with a critically ill passenger, and other emergencies requiring changes to GARs already submitted.

Does any of this bloody paperwork and form filling actually achieve any purpose?

Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message