Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

The GenDec requirements enforced by the Dutch authorities both inbound and outbound from/to the UK:

The Dutch AIP: http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2016-06-09-AIRAC/eAIP/html/index-en-GB.html
In GEN 1.2 section 3.2 Immigration: Immigration can always demand the General Declaration form of pilots.
3.2 Immigration is also applicable for Private F;rights as of 4.3
4.3 Immigration refers back to paragraph 3.2 for private flights.

P.S. You will not find such a reference to the requirement to carry a GenDec if you look at the Belgian or French AIP.

If you use onlinegar.com, then you have to also file an outbound GAR from the UK to The Netherlands. That is not mandated from the UK side, but if you do file an outbound GAR, the onlinegar.com system will inform the Dutch authorities and send them the information and GAR form. You can then also download a copy for your own reference from their system and to bring along.

I am at the moment not allowed to post the e-mail address of the Dutch authorities where the GAR forms should go. I have, however, forwarded the information to Achim and assume he will implement the new requirements into Autorouter, but you will have to ask him. If you are using our flight plan app (AeroPlus Flight Plan), then you could either use onlinegar.com as we have an integration with them. We are also working out something ourselves, so all can be arranged from within our own flight plan solution. I am not sure how Rocket Route deals with this. You would have to ask them.

More extensive information can be found here: http://www.aeroplus.nl/fly/txoug

If you don’t file a GenDec form in the above way, then bring them along. They are not enforcing you at the moment to submit the GenDec at least 2 hours before your departure time. However, if they don’t have your data and see your flight plan coming, that will trigger some bells I was told. Sending it ahead will speed up the process.

One more thing. There is a new initiative called www.gendec.nl that can deal with GenDec and GAR forms. It is not my initiative, but it might be of interest to you.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 02 Aug 15:00
EDLE, Netherlands

Slightly lost the plot on GARs

Simple question I know but cant readily find the answer – I know the BA were intending to introduce the compulsory requirement to file a GAR outbound – but has this happened, or are you strictly required to file a GAR in bound only (question refers only to and from the EU)?

I only file the inbound GAR unless I am flying to Holland or the Channel islands when I file both ways.

The GAR sends you a GENDEC which you can print off and take with you to both of the above places as they may well ask for it .

It also sends a copy of the GAR to the Dutch and Channel Islands authorities.

I file several GAR’s every month and have not had a complaint yet.

Its a great system, pity the rest of Europe doesnt take it up (some hope now after Brexit).

For EU, it remains inbound right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As quatrelle mentioned, use the onlinegar system also outbound if you fly from the UK to The Netherlands. They are requiring GenDec forms and prefer to receive them at least 2 hours ahead of your departure from the UK. If you use the onlinegar.com system, the system will forward the GenDec to the Dutch authorities for you. It saves you time on the apron (and some frustration). You don’t have to file 2 hours ahead of your departure. You could also just bring a GenDec form along with your, but in that case you will meet the customs staff on the apron to check you out :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks Gents – well at least as I thought and have always done – and I agree the on line GAR is excellent for anyone who hasnt used it.

Prompted by being approached by a couple of friendly Bobbies for the first time ever asking to see passports and whether a Gendec had been filed before I had left the UK which made me question whether I had missed a trick. To be fair they didnt specify whether it was an outbound or inbound Gendec or both.

Still cant help feeling the whole thing is a mess. I am guessing at major airports you are “recorded” outbound when in CAT as your passport is scanned (not that I am aware where the data goes), we in GA declare outbound, sailors dont declare in either direction, and not that I have been on a ferry for a long time, not sure what happens then.

I recall many years ago a friend of mine (always a bit wild) decided to windsurf to France. He was met by the Gendarmerie when he landed who demanded to see his passport which he hadnt brought as he intended to windsurf back and probably thought he wouldnt be asked. Anyway they confiscated his board, and having no clothes and no money had his parents arrange a Ferry ticket and returned to the UK in his wetsuit, returning the following weekend with me to collect his board (this time with passport) and we windsurfed back. Funny story.

You windsurfed across the Channel, Fuji? I am impressed!

AFAIK the police etc get passenger data from the airline long before you turn up at the airport. The airline has got it by then.

Sailing is exempt because a lot of politicians are into it Sailing clubs are after all potentially quite posh places.

One thing I have noticed on the last 3 trips to the Channel Islands (all in 2016) is that I no longer get the phone call from the police, with the “permission to fly number”. I always explain that I don’t need such a permission; the law requires a notification only. So either they are not getting my emailed GARs (and I have fallen through the cracks), or they have given up making those silly phone calls.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter – a long time ago :-}, just purchased a board again and realised it has changed more than a bit!

I guess they do if you compete the on line passenger information – but you arent required to do so if you have your boarding pass printed at the airport. I agree the airline does then collect the data but I wonder where it goes? Isnt the data also collected as you pass through the gate?

No I havent had those calls either but I have used the on line GAR for a long time, who have assured me they deal with all the relevant notifications. They do of course email you a refence number. I have had one case where I had the number but the BA “claimed” they never received the notification. That was an involved story of some fraught exchanges in order to drop off passengers en route and not be held up getting home, followed subsequently by an apology when they found it – so all forgiven.

Sailing was never exempt in the past and hanging around waiting for the BA to turn up was a major nightmare as was being told off making for the showers if you got caught (before hot showers on board :-}) – happy days, but I guess you are right although what will happen after BREXIT.

I’m sure you know this Fuji….In fact I’m 100% convinced you do, but just in case anyone else is reading who isn’t familiar, a GAR is required outbound from Great Britain if going to the Channel Islands, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, despite the fact that the last two are in the EU. All other EU destinations don’t require an outbound GAR from Great Britain.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes, but thanks DP it is a useful reminder that the CIs are an exemption. Again interesting to know who uses the information, who it is promulgated to, and for what purpose. I recall turning up at Alderney a quite a few years back filling in their paper arrivals forms and handing them over to spot a box overflowing with forms. I asked about the box and was told they hadnt been collected in weeks! Hmmm.

Sailing, when you arrive into Alderney you are “required” to clear in at the harbour office with passports and forms duly completed, whereas in Guernsey at either of the two marinas no one seems remotely interested.

It all seems very hit and miss. Similarly going to Waterford last time no one was remotely interested.

Sign in to add your message