Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Peter wrote:

I think the UK does it to (a) help control large volume immigration, and (b) to give the security people an opportunity to eyeball who is arriving in big numbers i.e. off an airliner etc.

With the UK being outside Schengen, an EU citizen can enter the UK and live and work there. But you can know, and can verify, his identity, because you checked his passport on his way in. So if he is or looks dodgy, you can make extra checks, etc.

With the UK being in Schengen, an EU citizen can enter the UK and live and work there and you are not allowed to know or verify his identity. Basically every criminal who has somehow, somewhere, managed to enter the Schengen zone can now enter your country and you are not allowed to even know about it.

If you now transpose this onto today’s terrorism issues, you can probably see a problem. I think that is as non-political as one can say it. So Schengen is a huge hot potato in the UK.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that with exactly the same argument you can motivate interior document checks, such as (practicalities aside) checking the documents of everyone entering or leaving London.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, but I think one’s view on whether that is actually likely to come about depends on one’s “cultural heritage”, which is quite variable around Europe, especially since 1939-45 and the varying views on whether that might happen again.

The UK is highly unlikely to ever have identity cards, for example. So I don’t think it is an issue here.

The GAR form system is very appropriate to actual operational procedures. For example, in the rest of Europe where you have “Customs/Immigration PNR” airports, the implementation is with a “flying squad” of police officers who hang out somewhere, waiting for either “intelligence” on who to take a look at, or notifications from pilots which list people who have dodgy identities (which, in the UK, is anybody from Ireland, or Amsterdam ). They then jump into a car or a twin turbine helicopter and go off to meet you up. Now, what difference does it make if the airport is a port of entry or not? What is the difference between say Bergerac (24hrs PNR for C/I) and Shoreham (4hrs PNR for arrival from EU). Especially as Bergerac has international flights there, so the police are either based there or they can get there before the dodgy arrival gets into their car.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

But the Germans require the same

I’d always thought that, but Rwyy20 says that the Germans don’t.

Rwy20 wrote:

Departing from Germany, there is an implementing by-law that says you can pretty much leave the customs area from anywhere you like

But I see now that he’d misunderstood and was talking about leaving the EU rather than Schengen.

So my original understanding was correct!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Likely effects of Brexit on the UK GAR system

12 hours for flights arriving from outside the EU. This is to meet Customs and Immigration requirements

And next year this will apply to all English flights. Maybe Scottish and Northern Irish too?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

We’ll see. Both if and when…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What is the full quote?

We will obviously be outside the EU so flights to and from France (with reference to the from part) will require 12 hours notice, which, if proves to be the case will “kill” a huge number of the day type trips to places like L2K. I would doubt that is in anyones interest.

It probably came from this thread

Yes I agree that, once the UK leaves the EU formally, the GAR is not likely to go to the “non EU” notice period (which for Shoreham is 24hrs not 12hrs, BTW) for every foreign flight. That would be ridiculous.

Administrator

As long as it’s to/ from the EU, effect of the wording would stay the same even after exit. Within the EU would be a problem but I don’t think anything related to GAR used that. If you leave customs union, flying to the EU won’t be any different than flying to Canada really and even Channel Islands are not treated as part of the EU for the purposes of GAR (but I believe they have 12 hour notice instead of 24). It will be up to you. Well, whoever makes that policy.

Frankly, there are more interesting matters. Like recognition of driving licences. Who knows. That’s why I wouldn’t be able to vote for exit (it would have to be really bad to just jump off the cliff having no idea what impact it will have).

PS: From aviation perspective, the whole VAT/ importation/ cabotage/ etc. could become interesting. IMHO far more than some GAR.

Last Edited by Martin at 02 Sep 06:07

From aviation perspective, the whole VAT/ importation/ cabotage/ etc. could become interesting

In what respect, that differs from Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein, or for that matter Serbia, Albania, the USA….

How is cabotage an issue here?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

In what respect, that differs from Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein, or for that matter Serbia, Albania, the USA….

It might not make a difference to you, but it should have an impact on G-regs, right?

Sign in to add your message