Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suitable SEP IR tourer with FIKI and speed

Walter wrote:

Unfortunately the entry and operating costs together double each time once you go down these number.

DA42 should be comparable to SR22. And there is obviously a difference between naturally aspirated SR22/ Columbia 300/ 350/ Corvalis and turbocharged SR22T/ Turbo/ Columbia 400/ Corvalis TT/ TTx.

Problem with the segment you’re looking at is that those planes frequently aren’t equipped to handle icing. If you want that, it will limit your options. In the past, icing was domain of twins and twins were the natural progression. Only later, it became more common for singles and those are obviously newer and more expensive. Nailing down what exactly you want when it comes to icing is for me the first thing. Because it has a big impact. We did that discussion previously. While there are e.g. TB20/21 with frame TKS, you’ll probably have trouble locating one, it probably won’t be cheap and doing the retrofit yourself isn’t trivial or cheap. And the probability it’ll also have the right avionics…

I couldn’t agree more with you guys when it comes to the point of what’s needed to get a high despatch and comfort for family plane…pressurized, FIKI twin will be the choice…

But my family won’t join as much is I want them to. Mainly because the have less time and motivation to go general aviation. (Not really interested in the most expensive burger with alcohol free drinks and fly back again). They like to go somewhere for a weekend or a week and see the country and not the airport. So if there is anything to tick off the list its payload and family comfort. (It’s cheaper to rent a suitable plane for those few days a year)

So it comes down to icing handling quality…
What I understood from an airliner friend…fly somewhere where it’s below -35°c and climb fast though it. Good for an airliner, but in general aviation this didn’t work so far…

So far what are the money makes in maintaining an aircraft…

You have a basic frame which creates the let’s call it base line. Then you add your gadgets which a plane doesn’t need to be airborne but with makes is more useful and expensive: 1) turbo, 2) retractable gear, 3)anti ice, 4)pressurized cabin, 5)two engines 6)additional HP in the cowling, 6) radar

So basically every time you tick a box, your plane requires more emotional love from your bank account…fair enough…

The question, for me still not answered, is which of these things you actually need to add to the base line of an aircraft…that’s quite a subjective point, as many airliner pilots refuse to leave a traffic pattern with a SEP out of principle.
Others told me they don’t care for ice because they have climb power and go to FL300 plus…

So my question…

If I want to fly more or less on a weekly schedule across Europe, keeping in mind that weather always will win if it wants…and keeping in mind to still accept that general aviation will remain a hobby rather than a full replacement of public transport systems to me. So with all these limitations, where do I get the most out of the used resources.

I understood that the tb20 series is a lot more useful than a bonanza in terms of money input to keep it airborne…

I understood that FIKI doesn’t mean FIKI, but if I want to have more options than to fly or to stay grounded, which frame offers good options, boots and TKS ect….basically, a hot prop is cheaper and doesn’t motivate you to believe you are a b737. In the end all SEP which go fast don’t deal well with icing

One question is quite important to me. It’s not related to icing but to how I like to perform my flights.

What is your information on financial needs per annum for a normal aspirated and turbo aspirated engine of the same line? I mean how much more complex and expensive is the work actually? Do you have examples?

Obviously everybody agrees, that a normal aspirated engine is a no brainer and cheap to operate like the 360 of lycoming. But I never heard any figures.

To be more specific. The m20j201 and the m20k231 are currently planes I do like… Yes the are old, have no TKS (generally) and no glas and don’t take a lot of load.
I know the difference in performance and the 20usd per hrs difference in operating them in the US. But I didnot hear anything ford Europe?

Anyone there?

Thx again…

If I want to fly more or less on a weekly schedule across Europe, keeping in mind that weather always will win if it wants…and keeping in mind to still accept that general aviation will remain a hobby rather than a full replacement of public transport systems to me. So with all these limitations, where do I get the most out of the used resources.

@Stephan_Schwab flies a SR22 and seems to have a mission profile like you. Perhaps he has some insights?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I installed the TAT turbo normaliser system on my A36 this year. Before, I was often in the weather at FL100-150. Now I’m usually above it at FL180-250.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Don’t listen to airline pilots. They only fly four-engine aircraft because there are no five-engine aircraft! ;-)

Spending too long online

blueline wrote:

I would have expected all Crusaders to have been modified after the mentioned incident?

I have flown a Crusader in Icing conditions (albeit years ago) and would prefer to be in that aircraft over any SEP. As suggested above I would be surprised if any were not yet modified, and it’s easy to check anyway.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

chrisparker wrote:

Don’t listen to airline pilots. They only fly four-engine aircraft because there are no five-engine aircraft! ;-)

And yet doesn’t a certain airline pilot fly an A36?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

No rule without exemption.

Anyway, depending on the family size the Aztec is reported to be a very comfortable family plane, especially if you take out one of the middle row seats. Judging the available room this is true for the 310, too. I haven’t flown any of them and have no IFR experience to share (My family always cruises SEP-VFR throughout Europe).

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

We have our 252 for four years and 600h and the engine is at TBO now. We had one cylinder replaced and the waste gate controller overhauled during that time. The exhaust valve of that cylinder appeared to be about to fail when inspected with a borescope and the waste gate controller could not be adjusted anymore during an annual.

More over both alternators had to be overhauled/IRANed because they failed (not at at same time) and the magnetos were IRANed because they reached 500h, but this is not turbo/non-turbo specific, of course.

We did not have any other engine work done.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Er, yes. The airline flying pays for my real flying!

Spending too long online
Sign in to add your message