Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which country allows IAPs without ATC?

Peter wrote:

how do you prevent somebody else flying the IAP concurrently?

Pilots self separate. The AFIS airports all have RMZs.

Nobody in Europe (or anywhere else AFAIK) does a complete “free for all” with no limitations on traffic and done 100% by self-announcement.

No, not 100% by self-announcement. The AFISO has the flight plans and gets position reports. (S)he informs the pilots of other traffic and the pilots self-separate based on that. Which I did write. There are no phone calls, no slots, etc. Of course above some likelihood of having simultaneous IFR movements the airport will be required to have a tower.

Maybe you should come visit northern Sweden sometime (AFAIU you haven’t been further north than Malmö). Then you can experience for yourself how this works.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No need; one just needs Swedish pilots to post the details in our forum

Uses a lot less energy, which has to be a good thing!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think for IAP AD with AFIS or no ATS you still need the approach who provide basic information on IAF or QNH…yes, I would not call that approach control when procedure and runway are uncontrolled, it’s simply approach information

Usually plates will have some FIS/ATC approach frequency to provide the “info”…my guess this will be the case in Sweden as well, unless there some IFR plates to share with RMZ AD frequency only and no APP frequency?

In France, there are not that many places where you can fly IAP without talking to anyone? you need to speak to ATC to get info on IAF & QNH who acts as FIS and does some traffic sequencing in Golf

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 09:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“Sweden may not have much GA at these places (definitely true for the Scottish cases, but they are not “airline” ops anyway)”
In what respect are operations into Stornoway EGPO not airline operations?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Small planes = less risk to the public.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think for IAP AD with AFIS or no ATS you still need the approach who provide basic information on IAF or QNH…yes, I would not call that approach control when procedure and runway are uncontrolled, it’s simply approach information

The AFISO provides the MET REPORT which includes the QNH. What basic information on IAF are you referring to? (Which is not on the approach plate.)

Usually plates will have some FIS/ATC approach frequency to provide the “info”…my guess this will be the case in Sweden as well, unless there some IFR plates to share with RMZ AD frequency only and no APP frequency?

Once again. There is – except in a single case – no “APP”. There is the AFIS unit and the enroute ATC – which also provides FIS in the class G outside of the airport RMZ.

The AFIS unit frequency is on the plate. No other frequencies.

Peter wrote:

No need; one just needs Swedish pilots to post the details in our forum

You can read all about uncontrolled IFR in Sweden on my blog here.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Nov 08:55

The AFISO provides the MET REPORT which includes the QNH

I was thinking about the scenarios where you need QNH to descend bellow transition level before switching to AD frequency, that should be provided by some APP ATC or APP FIS?

Yes latter you get QNH from AFIS to land

If IAF is in controlled airspace or route you need clearance to that IAF (if IAF OCAS, no clearance but surely enroute FIS do some “one at the time” sequencing?)

There is the AFIS unit and the enroute ATC – which also provides FIS in the class G outside of the airport RMZ.

Ah that was not clear then, you have enroute FIS who does “Approach Info”

Can you fly to these airfields IFR without even talking to APP FIS?

We are all saying the same “en-route FIS (ATC in Golf)” do “Approach Information” (not Approach Control) and that is how things work in these small airfields

In few places where en-route ATC don’t do FIS OCAS, this can’t work…

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Nov 09:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I was thinking about the scenarios where you need QNH to descend bellow transition level before switching to AD frequency, that should be provided by some APP ATC or APP FIS?

Once again. There is no “APP” in these situations.

Either the AFISO will relay the MET REPORT to enroute ATC who will give it to you, or you will be handed over to the AFIS unit well before reaching the transition level.

If IAF is in controlled airspace or route you need clearance to that IAF

Certainly, but as I wrote previously there is only one AFIS airport in Sweden where this happens — and even then not necessarily at all times as the ATC unit concerned is not open H24.

(if IAF OCAS, no clearance but surely enroute FIS do some “one at the time” sequencing?)

They do not.

With the present Swedish regulations the AFIS unit can do sequencing in the sense that they can suggest to arriving traffic (both VFR and IFR) that they join a hold while other traffic is completing an approach or departure, but with harmonised EASA rules for AFIS in effect later this year (I believe) even that will not be possible.

Airborne_Again wrote:

With the present Swedish regulations the AFIS unit can do sequencing in the sense that they can suggest to arriving traffic (both VFR and IFR) that they join a hold while other traffic is completing an approach or departure, but with harmonised EASA rules for AFIS in effect later this year (I believe) even that will not be possible.

@Airborne_Again could you please elaborate? Missed that. Thanks!

EGTR
Sign in to add your message