Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Could stayed a bit late in the flight for a nice picture of yesterday’s “super blood wolf moon”, it was cloudy on the ground unfortunately !

You may need one of these for flying in icy conditions with open cockpit, to clean the wings obviously

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 12:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My ex has one of those

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did you get toad?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

flying around MtBlanc yesterday. Severe case of CAVOK…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Central Italy last weekend

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

EGKA from 35k feet well almost. Flew a bit too much west of all things. Nothing GA, just on my way to get some sun and wine after 4 months of dark and cold

Live tracker here

https://fr24.com/SAS7473/1f9784ee

Last Edited by LeSving at 23 Feb 12:55
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Excellent pic of my favourite sightseeing route, around The Needles of the Isle of Wight

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A piece of nostalgia

Last Edited by NickP at 23 Feb 22:35
Stapleford, United Kingdom

To be honest, I’m too lazy to make a trip report, sorry everyone.
But! You all have given me so much, I want to share something.

I went to Namibia a year ago to start a business, and gained a reciprocal PPL while there.
By the way, if you go there, I highly recommend Signa Aviation
I flew a little Jabiru around, which was quite easy to fly, but also a bit sporty, as it had differential hand brakes.
Landing while feathering the brakes and managing everything was… interesting.
Turning is sketchy, to say the least. There was a lot of ‘reach across’. Note to self: don’t save pennies on aircraft handbrakes. Just pay for the pedal install.

I apologize for having no fantastic approach pics or videos. It was challenging flying many times because the “Jab” was very light, and the thermals off the desert very strong, so my focus was on flying.

OK, on to some photos!

Flying into Windhoek on a 787… we all had “poor man’s 1st class” seats ;)

If you haven’t flown on a 787, the dimmable windows make it look like a moonlit night outside during the day. This is full daylight and full tint (we could definitely use these on GA AC, although we probably couldn’t afford it ;)

Arriving in Windhoek (elevation 5640ft, length 14,859ft)

Leaving the airport, the signs are pretty clear about what is going on. Except that I have no idea what is going on…

For the sake of the privacy of the AC owner, I’ll avoid posting photos of it…

A nice looking DC6 at the Eros Airport (in Windhoek) that is slowly wasting away, but looking beautiful as ever. I heard they will turn it into a restaurant or something someday…

Looking through the props at the GA section of the airport facilities.

Here’s pilot-side view of the first flight after receiving my checkout in the “Jab” and Namibian PPL.

Here’s another flight southeast of Windhoek just before sundown. The sunsets there are incredible.

This is a ‘river’ — looks like a river on the map anyway… ;)

Although not everyone may approve, it gets hot and man, is this a nice feeling on the toes! For the concerned, I always carried plenty of water, gear and serious boots (with extra pairs of socks) when flying. I didn’t take chances with survival.

Coming back after a flight, this is an area of Windhoek called Katatura. Although listed as a slum, I found it to be the most well-manicured and organized slum I had ever seen. (I’ve seen a few).

Looking out at the airfield at Swakopmund

I have a lot more pictures (the Namib desert, flying along the coast, etc.) but I’ll have to dig them up and post them at a later point…

I’m currently grounded owing to being penniless so I’m living vicariously through this website and youtube videos, but whilst browsing FR24 today I came across this SR22 with a pretty impressive ground speed thanks to a hefty tailwind at altitude.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany
Sign in to add your message