Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gain and loss of immigration / customs at French airports, and current list

The “prevailing wisdom” is that LTQ has the police all the time because Macron has a house there.

That is obviously a fragile situation in the long term, although I would expect he would have protection for some years after leaving office.

But if this is not the reason, that becomes very interesting. “Something/someone” is safeguarding LTQ.

The problem is that this is not of interest to the FFA or FFPLUM who jointly represent the majority of pilots in France.

That (that French aeroclub traffic doesn’t travel much) is the opposite of what is often posted Well, we all know they rarely travel outside schengen – or actually to non French speaking countries. Somebody else will have to fight for this, and in this context it is mostly UK traffic, which makes up a lot of business at N French airports.

The biggest issue I see is a lack of interest in airport economics (or tourism, if you like) among whoever in France is actually running this. One airport, may have been Calais, reported a 30% drop in business due to the police PN. I am sure Cherbourg would be a far bigger drop, but Cherbourg doesn’t need to care because it will always be kept open as a strategic transport asset for the nearby nuclear facility. And perhaps LTQ picked up the Calais business…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

intra-Schengen if one has “nothing to declare” they don’t even need to land in customs airports (one still need to get confirmation on preavis with 24h PN and 1h FPL to ATC)

Sorry but do I read you correctly, for a flight from France to Italy, I would need to warn Customs 24h PN if I have nothing to declare ?

EGTF, LFTF

@Peter are you saying that L2K did not have a quasi permanent C+I presence before Macron became president?

France

the Douanes roadmap document states that the EES system will be implemented by them.

That’s a great news, I asked curiosly and I was told not sure if they will ever have “EES acess” (historically, police aux frontière had acess to Schengen database files while douanes only have acess to criminal lists, they always had to physically check papers)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

are you saying that L2K did not have a quasi permanent C+I presence before Macron became president?

Affirm.

Mostly there was nobody there. People tended to follow the website request for 2hrs PN (which is still there but the police told me they don’t care about it because they are always there).

Administrator

Sorry but do I read you correctly, for a flight from France to Italy, I would need to warn Customs 24h PN if I have nothing to declare ?

My bad, I was referring to PN in context to Switzerland & Norway (extra-customs and intra-immigration) when you fly from non-POE French airports (e.g. Lognes, Annemasse, Pontoise, Toussus)

When you fly from POE French airports to Italy, you still have to double check if PN for immigration is require intra-Schengen in AIP/NOTAMS (e.g. LaRochelle, Picardie)

are you saying that L2K did not have a quasi permanent C+I presence before Macron became president?

I think it has to do more with Brexit than Marcon? Calais & LeTouquet used to have empty customs desks with 2h PN but they were rarely around before Brexit/Marcon

It changed before brexit.

But, anyway, IF the current reason for the police at LTQ is brexit, that is a positive sign because it suggests somebody is protecting LTQ business.

Which is exactly what should happen. The police is the servant of the State, and the State has certain economic interests, and tourism is one of these. Croatia gets it right so I am sure France can too

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The biggest issue I see is a lack of interest in airport economics

It is a question of : who barks to the State about it ?

• If a Chamber of Commerce or even better MEDEF (largest employer federation) do, they may be heard because “it’s for the economy”.
  • If it’s FFA or FFPLUM, it doesn’t get past the secretary who answers the phone. They represent no interest economically.

If nobody barks (or it doesn’t get past the secretary), all is well, the State is happy

And yes, we all agree clubs should fight to keep airports accessible because if not, we will all lack destinations and flying will stop.

LFOU, France

One would think the airports know somebody… it is their business after all.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message