Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good books to read (aviation related)

fascinating accounts of fighter pilots of WW2 were written by Col. Raymond F. Toliver – a.o. ‘blond knight of Germany’ (about Erich Hartmann), and ‘fighter aces of the USA’.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

The books written by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
‘Vulcan 607’ is highly recommended, even if you’re not into the military side, the biggest part is about the plane and flying it.

ESMK, Sweden

not a book, but a good article from eaa.org. If there is a thread for articles, please move.
Last three minutes

Last Edited by Michal at 18 Nov 19:00
LKKU, LKTB

Currently reading “Finding Carla” by Ross Nixon, recommended.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 18 Nov 20:41
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

If you like the PBY Catalina then ‘The Sky Beyond’ by Sir Gordon Taylor wherein he recounts some truly extraordinary pioneering, long distance flights, mostly across the Pacific.

Just got Cessna: Wings for the world by William Thompson, one of the engineers/pilots that worked for Cessna from 1946 to the mid 80’s.

Gives the design/engineering decisions behind all the single engine types, up to and including the Caravan.

Some interesting odd balls including a Cessna 140A with an adjustable prop and Jet Assisted Take Off (JATO), or an L-19 bird dog with boundary layer control! If I spot other unique research experiments will add to this post.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Non-Fiction

La Chute d’Icare” by Jean-Francois Roseau (in French and just out) – I am partial to this (but no connection to the author) as it is about my ancestor, Albert Preziosi, a Corsican in the French Air Force in the 1930’s, then Free French pilot with Normandie-Niemen in Russia flying Yaks.
Articles by Neil Williams in “Shell Aviation News” from the 1970s which you can find via the internet
North Star over my Shoulder” by Bob Buck – flying from the 1920’s onwards and first 16 year old to fly coast to coast (US) solo, then onto airliners.
A Higher Call” by Adam Makos – true story about a Luftwaffe pilot who flew from beginning to the end and became famous recently for not having shot down a damaged B-17.
Scramble” by Tom Neil – RAF during the war, well written.
Wings of Chance” by Denis Sweeting – another RAF during the war, he survived a mid-air break-up of a Spitfire, then went on to fly Typhoons.

Apart from various aerobatic books I have been working through, I am trying to get hold of books by Tony Bingelis, more to understand aircraft construction which can help me in developing a better understanding for maintenance, although the FAA bible on Aircraft Inspection and Repair is good for me. FTAOD (for the avoidance of doubt), I am not doing unsupervised / unqualified maintenance on my aircraft!

Fiction
* A really enjoyable fictional book on a Hurricane pilot during the Battle of Britain is “In Case of War, Break Glass” by Bob Davy. The author is a pilot out of City Airport in London but also flies a Nan Chang (my first aero experience was with him but only made the connection on who he was after). He is working on a sequel for which part of his research involved the full training for a P-51 at Stallion 51 in Kissimmee, Florida… lucky guy!

Last Edited by CKN at 23 Dec 09:06
CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN wrote:

Bob Davy

I didn’t know he wrote a book. Certainly remember him (from the after flying) from white waltham!.
Any “reverse pint” story in the book?

@Noe – I cannot say that I “know” him, but will try and find out more if I can and let you know, but it is really a great read (I think I read it in one or two nights mid-week and zombied around the office during the day due to lack of sleep). It is on Amazon and whilst a little pricey, one of those books worth having on the shelf rather than electronically. I asked him recently how the next book was coming along and he simply said “in progress”.

In passing, he is a great ambassador for flight; I had just come back from an abortive flight dodging snow cells in a rented Cub and was sitting in front of the club house watching the sunset when he walked by and asked me if a) I was a pilot; and b) if I got air sick. I said yes and no and then he asked me if I wanted to backseat in his Nanchang which was a no brainer. He let me fly including an aileron roll and then did an aero sequence completing with a smoke-on run and break over the runway as the sun went down.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN wrote:

I cannot say that I “know” him, but will try and find out more if I can and let you know, but it is really a great read

I don’t know him more than a couple of pints with other people either! Fun guy though!
The reverse pint is probably more dangerous than low level aeros at night though. I had to call an ambulance once and I think the guy in question limped for a long time.

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Dec 11:34
Sign in to add your message