Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question on aerobatic training

Thank you again each and all your helpful advice and views, much appreciated.

It looks like the T67M will be the way to start, in addition to which there are two at the club which helps on availability. If I had a choice, I would most definitely go for the Chipmunk or Cap10 or… but I have to start somewhere and will hopefully have opportunities down the road. The aeros I enjoyed as passenger (although I was permitted to fly both and a simple aileron roll) this year were in a Nan Chang and a Tiger Moth. Shares in Chipmunk and Nan Chang were about £12,000 give or take which does not work for my budget and no shares in Cap10’s very regrettably.

Whilst I fly a Luscombe now, there was a possibility of a Starduster instead, but the Starduster was sold to Germany. Not great in winter perhaps but open cockpit/biplane would be wonderful.

In the end, the aircraft is important, the instructor more important and then it’s down to me to make the time, get it to work and hope that eventually I can draw some graceful lines in the sky.

Will let you know how I get on and all the best!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN wrote:

Whilst I fly a Luscombe now

Which is not a bad place to be in preparation for aerobatic training. You do learn what the controls are for in a Luscombe, and if after the T67M you were eventually to end up in a Pitts, Luscombe time is the traditional ’Pitts Primer" due to some similarity in runway handling.

Good luck and have fun!

@Silvaire I often think how “fun” the Luscombe is, although I have not quite worked out why I enjoy it so . Given your name and our other exchanges, you must have some great Luscombe memories.

Maybe one thing that makes it “fun” is that I flew the other day and realised that the ball was in the middle without me looking which was nice given the adverse yaw from those distant ailerons. One of the greater pleasures I have had flying was when I did something right through “feeling” or sense rather than reacting to what an instrument is telling me and the Luscombe has been teaching me some of that. Hoping that it will all contribute to the future.

@Norflyer, @RobertL18C, @Beechbaby – I have been reading Campbell on Basic Aerobatics, Alan Cassidy’s Better Aerobatics, and Neil Williams, but not looked into Michael Goulian which I will check out. I sort of met him in Andover, MA a couple of years ago at the local 1950’s GA airport where he has an office and sparkling, gleaming hangar.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN I have one other thought that might be helpful from my aero time.

I am sure you understand the difference between injected and non injected engines when it comes to aeros. There are plenty of aircraft that are certified for aeros with both and even types fitted both with injected or non. Personally I think that as you progress there are many good reasons for having an aircraft with an injected engine when it comes to aeros.

In the same vein their are aircraft with properly inverted oil systems and those without. Without adequate respect for an aircraft without an inverted oil system and at some point you are inviting costly problems with the engine. At the point you are looking for a share or ownership this could be some of the best advice I can give because the history of the aircraft and the way it has been looked after is even more important if it has been used to fly aerobatically, as is also true if you are joining a group, only to find the first thing that happens is you are presented with a big bill for an engine overhaul.

Just a thought for the future perhaps.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message