Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR Testing iPAd

I recently purchased the iPad version of Sporty's Instrument Pilot interactive course....includes a 900+ question bank and lots of video tutorials.....I managed 85-90% on my first two attempts of the simulated written...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I can also recommend aviationexam.com, I used it this winter when I did my JAA IR. It works well on the iPad (offline as well) and has great study functions, explanations to all questions with both text and pictures and a large question bank.

I spent the first few days going through the book (Nordian) and after that I focused on doing questions when I felt that I understood the basics of the subject, using the books for reference trying to find the right answer. It worked out great and I passed with >90% on every exam. I can't imagine the effort it would take to pass the exams without a QB..

I wonder if my account is still active.. hmm :)

I too aimed for 85% consistently, and got something similar

AGK 96%
FP&P 92%
NAV 90%
HP&L 79%
MET 86%
AIR LAW 93%
IFR COMMS 95%

To be fair the first three I did in the GTS classroom so I got some extra time on those.

HP&L is horrible because it has only 24 questions and you can get 70% (a fail) once and 100% the next time. Also the content is mostly crap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You get a lot more questions so 7 quid sounds like a bargain

That's fair, my comment was in jest really but I assumed it was do with the additional questions or categoristions.

If she starts reading such stuff on the honeymoon already, you might want to consider spending less time with airplanes

Lol, really? There's 2 things I have committed to this year and last. One is to know absolutely nothing about Fifty Shades of Grey, and the other is never hear a Justin Beiber song .

I used aviationexam.com recently (in common with most people I met at Gatwick doing the CAA IR exams). I found the software excellent. I can believe that the database contains more than the official questions, but better that way than the other way round.

I don't think it's as much as 70%, though. My technique was to pass the aviationexam practice exams with 85% or more, three times in a row. In the actual exams, my grades were about 5-10% above, so possibly a slight waste of effort :)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Be warned of aviationexam.com. Their question database contains everything that was ever found in the official databases so you end up learning 70% that isn't in the official databases anymore. Guess after how many weeks of using I found out...

You could also have a look at aviationexam.com. Questionbank for ATPL, CPL or IR and also available for iPad. I have no connection, just stumbled upon them recently.

In addition, have a look at the IP Trainer from ASA, an IR specific flight simulator. You can really get a good idea on IR procedures before starting your training.

which because it is European must automatically explain why it costs £7 more

You get a lot more questions so 7 quid sounds like a bargain

which I consider much more productive than the 'Fifty shades of Grey' my wife read

If she starts reading such stuff on the honeymoon already, you might want to consider spending less time with airplanes

Thanks, the Dauntless Ground school one seems to have the best write up and reviews so will probably go with that. I noticed they had one for FAA and one for JAA (which because it is European must automatically explain why it costs £7 more).I read the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook on the iPad while I was on honeymoon by the pool last year - which I consider much more productive than the 'Fifty shades of Grey' my wife read ;-) Thanks Peter also, I am sure I have read your write up before, and would have found it interesting, and will have another scan through anyhow.

FWIW, Sporty's have just released their FAA IR App. No idea how good it is, though.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message