Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What was your most beautiful airfield on an island?

EGNS/Ronaldsway isn’t bad as the only Peter-approved airfield in the Isle of Man :-)

Andreas IOM

I reckon it would be difficult to beat Sollas, North Uist, Outer Hebrides for being an inherently beautiful airfield. No terminal, no apron, no baggage reclaim, no numbers, runway markings, lights… just 1600m of sand.

2017 fly-in 15th-16th July.

Alderney for its beauty and cheap fuel
Belle Isle for the warm welcome, ideal too for a family holiday
Quiberon for the same reasons
Lundy if you have a STOL aircraft for its uniqueness and a great pub

Second vote for Sollas. It’s on the old FAA World ENCs as an airfield, and has an airfield symbol with runway on my Airspace Avoid. I heard a family touring with a C182, flew there intending to camp. They returned without landing, as they were unable to identify the airfield. They didn’t realise it was the beach.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 12 Apr 19:12
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve only flown to two Islands so far, the East Frisian Islands of Borkum (EDWR) and Juist (EDWJ). Juist is smaller but nicer. The airfield is special because the runway is made from cobblestone. Contrary to what you might expect, it was a very smooth landing, smoother than asphalt actually.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The 2017 Solas Fly-in is 15-16 July.
You can land there anytime, depending on tides. I could pm a phone no.and email address for a local who can give condition information.
There will be different contact​ information for the Fly-in.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 13 Apr 10:32
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Probably not quite what @jb was thinking of, but this heliport on the Scilly Islands (on Tresco actually) looks pretty amazing – assuming the sun is shining which is far from assured

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fair Isle (EGEF) is one of the most memorable island airfields I have visited because of it’s remoteness an sparse population. The slightly sloping, short gravel runway adds an extra dimension.
I also enjoyed my visits of the Dutch and German Frisian isles; Texel, Juist, Norderney to name a few.

EKRN Ronne on Bornholm. A larger island with great atmosphere and a big airport

EDWX Westerland Sylt. The nearby town of Kampen has 3 Michelin star restaurants

EHLE, Netherlands

NTGJ, of course.

More seriously, I also like Bornhom. It’s a nice place to spend time in the summer. I also remember Wangerooge and Helgoland. One of them has a pretty short RWY. Barely made it over the fence.

Last Edited by loco at 11 Jul 09:23
LPFR, Poland
Sign in to add your message