Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My engine failure followed by forced landing...

Impressive! I hope I do as well when the day comes!

Tököl LHTL

Not only a good landing, you can walk away, but a great one as both you and plane in one piece. Well done

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

achimha wrote:

The first law of aviation forums is that every discussion eventually turns into a Cirrus chute discussion…

I’m still quite new to this but noticed that pattern as well. Please, can we stop detracting from lenthamens excellent forced landing? There was no Cirrus or CAPS involved here!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Great work in getting down safely. Always good to learn about these experiences directly from a pilots point of view.

Cirrus chute posts have been moved to a new merged thread on that topic – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great job with an excellent outcome.
I’m curious about the increased braking with flap reduction on an unmade surface. I would imagine that it would work well on a hard surface where grip is available but on in unmade surface I would have thought that flaps/aerodynamic drag would be better than mechanical grip braking.

Forever learning
EGTB

lenthamen wrote:

One of the Aviation inspectors told me that he already knew the cause of the failure

This prejudice is extremely unprofessional and the exact opposite of the qualities you would expect from any credible accident investigator.

We might never know. The aircraft has been fixed yesterday early morning and flown out of the field.
So it must have been something which was easy to fix.

That’s not good… nobody is likely to find out what happened and thus there is no opportunity to learn from it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was already said — gasket between the air filter and the mount. A known cause of trouble on the carbureted C182.

Lenthamen,
Thanks for posting this.
Just a thought, did this C182 have an engine monitor?
If not, do you think that being able to see exhaust and intake/carburettor gas temperatures on an EDM830-style display might have given you (a) more warning and (b) a rough idea of what was wrong and how to treat the symptoms?
ATB, Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message