Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Own Navigation" versus "direct"

What is the difference?

If I get “own navigation to XXX” I read it back as “direct XXX”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Resume own navigation” follows after radar vectors

Last Edited by airways at 27 Aug 07:23
EBST, Belgium

I think it indicates termination of radar service vectors, and that you navigate to that point by whatever route you want, not necessarily direct. I wouldn’t even assume I can route direct (aispace restrictions for instance)

Last Edited by Noe at 27 Aug 09:37

Resume navigation proceed as per flight plan, if filed.

Direct to, as described,. Flight direct to the waypoint provided.

Noe wrote:

I think it indicates termination of radar service

No it indicates termination of radar vectors.

EGTK Oxford

From the FAR/AIM:

RESUME OWN NAVIGATION
− Used by ATC to advise a pilot to resume his/her own navigational responsibility. It is issued after completion of a radar vector or when radar contact is lost while the aircraft is being radar vectored.

If I remember what I learned during IR training correctly, it means re-joining the filed or cleared route and the waypoint implies a clearance limit. But that was at a time where we used radio-navigation with limited range. In this day and age of GPS, it might well be interpreted as DCT, especially because the given waypoint be at the border of the current ATC sector.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 27 Aug 09:19
LFPT, LFPN

Thanks, silly mistake, did mean “navigation guidance”

Whenever I get an ambiguous clearance, or have a missing clearance, I read it back as well as what I am doing, so in this case “own navigation, direct xxx”.

Other examples include a clearance to a waypoint not on, but close to the original route. When around FL100-150 on L607 (KONAN-KOK-MAK-LNO), Brussels often clears me to Brussels (BUB) which is a couple of miles to the side, and they NEVER tell me where to go next. So when reaching BUG, I always just say “G-XXXX, at Brussels, proceeding direct Olno”, which always elicits a “roger”.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

When around FL100-150 on L607 (KONAN-KOK-MAK-LNO), Brussels often clears me to Brussels (BUB) which is a couple of miles to the side, and they NEVER tell me where to go next.

Been there, done that, many times. Very strange, I find Belgian ATC often to have a distinct lack of clarity of their instructions. Also never understood why every flight needs to go over the city center of Brussels while there is just farmland around. Also you have to ask them for shortcuts all the time, they rarely come up with them on their own.

All correct. Belgian ATC is a bit terrible.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message