Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jepp plates from Navigraph

Hi guys,

While we are happy that you find our charts apps and their contents are similar in quality to the professional Jeppesen apps, the Jeppesen charts in our apps are actually processed in many steps by us before being made available. Neither these processes, nor our apps, are certified for real world aviation. There may be errors in revision management, errors in the conversion of charts, or errors in the apps, because none of these processes are professionally certified or validated. In addition, the enroute charts are completely rendered by us from raw navdata, and nothing in that process is certified either.

Our apps require continuous Internet connection to work. While this can theoretically be circumvented, our apps must never be used for real world navigation because it is a breach of license agreement, dangerous, and unlawful. You agree to this when you accept the Navigraph ToS. Our apps are for non-professional flight simulation use only.

Kind regards,

Stephen
Navigraph Development Team

Last Edited by stephendoc at 15 Sep 11:32

Does anyone else still use Navigraph for ‘reference’ purposes? You can PM me, I’ll really appreciate your feedback! :)

Last Edited by igor at 25 Mar 21:37
Czech Republic

Yes!
At least 35 times I have checked their charts with the latest AIP and found that there are no discrepancies.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

At least 35 times I have checked their charts with the latest AIP and found that there are no discrepancies.

The only discrepancy is the big bold red “do not use for flight” disclaimer.

I believe that disclaimer bears no legal meaning whatsoever. You could hand draw the procedures on a napkin if you wanted to, as long as the correct information is there, you’re good to go.

EDIT: Even though I believe it wouldn’t be illegal to use such plates (assuming the information has been verified as correct), I still wouldn’t show them to other pilots around at a club, and certainly not instructors/examiners, nor would I want anyone to see me using them. Too many idiots trigger-happy to go out of their way to report shit to the CAA…

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 25 Mar 23:41
EDDW, Germany

For RNP approaches if the Navigraph plates matches the Navigator database distances and tracks up to 1deg you are good to go, I doubt the two can be randomly wrong but identical

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Mar 23:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

For RNP approaches if the Navigraph plates matches the Navigator database distances and tracks up to 1deg you are good to go, I doubt the two can be randomly wrong but identical

Well, legally you are not good to go. First, you are violating the license granted by Navigraph, which is significant as they do a great job for the flight simming community, however, if the original producers would learn that there are a significant number of folks using them for real world nav, then Navigraph and others might well have to stop doing what they are doing, as the original license issuer would withdraw.

I recall having had similar problems with the navigation program I was involved with. The navdatabase was licensed to us for reproduction ONLY for simming purposes. The only one operator who used our program for real world planning had to buy a full license to use the exactly same database.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

you are violating the license granted by Navigraph

But this might be an issue only between you and Navigraph. From the respective National Aviation Authority’s point of view, they wouldn’t and couldn’t care less about that.

EDDW, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, legally you are not good to go

Legally you should should compare the RNP approach tracks & distances in the navigator to the official plate from the AIP
How AIP plate compares to JeppView or Navigraph is up to you to check: I am assuming if A = D then A = B = C = D, it could be a naive assumption,

Legally you need A = B, some people do A = B using AIP plates !
Some people do A = C and assume B = C
Some people do A = D and assume D = C = B

We should not even debate this for non-RNP approach like ILS, you need frequency, minima from AIP and ATC vectors, just keep the Jepps money for some proper flying, okay it could be worth it the first year while you learn how to fly IFR and struggling with national AIP plates workload….

But I agree Navigraph licence of use is violated, it’s for simulator only

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Mar 20:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Given the fact that various people use Navigraph to access Jeppesen charts, please note that I have just come across charts for EGTK which have not been updated (4 Nov 22 is the latest Jeppesen chart to reflect the revised higher ILS minima) so beware.

It is not an issue that I have encountered before when I compared newly-issued Jeppesen charts to the ones in Navigraph (I often use Navigraph to view the charts in large size from the comfort from my large PC monitor) and could be due to the cyber attack that Jeppesen encountered a few weeks ago.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I posted in the Navigraph forum and received an immediate reply from Stephen, their co-founder and CTO, and apparently Navigraph charts are updated only every 4 weeks to coincide with the AIRAC cycles. The current AIRAC cycle started on 3 Nov 2022 and so the 4 Nov 2022 chart is technically an ad hoc chart (Jeppesen reacting to the EGTK NOTAM regarding revised approach OCA/OCH values) which is why is has not yet been updated on Navigraph. He has confirmed that this had nothing to do with the Jeppesen cyber attack outage.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message