Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Read this, Theory advice required

ok brilliant thanks for your comments and best of luck to you

nate

bristol, oslo

Nate, In my view the way I see this working, is that you call a UK ATO, talk to them about your plan i.e. you would like to take the exams at their school before september but do most of the flight training in Norway. They might not agree since they wouldn't be making any money of you since you'll only be paying for the exams (my school charges £26 per exam). So you might have to throw in a sweetener, i.e. book some flying hours with them, which is a good idea anyway since you'll learn how some things are different in UK. You could also tell them that you want to take the final practical in the UK with that school. This way it would look like you did the course here in the UK, with most flying abroad. Couple of months ago at the begining of my course (had around 5hours) I was in Malta (also EASA member) and went to a school there and asked if I could take a 1 hour dual training and if it would count towards my 45 hour requirement. The instructor over there said it's not a problem at all and my instructor here in the UK agreed. The instructor in Malta simply signed my log entry.

With regards to pointers on schools, I'm doing doing my course at denham at the pilot centre.

Funny story in Malta... when we climbed in the 152 we found that the previous student had broken the compass, possibly by pulling on to it. I thought that the lesson was going to be cancelled as it would be impossible to navigate. When we got in the air I realised that to go around the island on the coast in 45mins and land back where you started you don't need a compass.

Ok cheers, nice one mate, ive got the plan sorted though after speaking to both CAA in Norway and Uk, Norway is currently under JAR so that is automatically covered under EASA, hence i can do my flying practical their, as for the exams i have found a company that allows you to book up the exams at the students convenience but apparently they want to see evidence you have been doing revision ( Not a problem but sounds very wishy washy does it not!)

Sounds like malta was fun,

ps what what does ATO mean?

bristol, oslo

p.S.S... You mentioned earlier their was 5 Jeremy pratt books, surely theirs seven, as theirs 7 exams or are the other 2 covered in the other books.....

bristol, oslo

There are approximately four PPL books (there certainly were four from Trevor Thom), with the 5th one covering the IMC Rating.

The 5th book was written by several different people and was badly disjointed.

An ATO is a flying school.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yep Peter you're right. There are four Trevor Thom books (for ppl) not five. Nate, books are split so they cover more than one subject.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message