Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 major failure on brand new Cirrus SR22 GTS

I might be wrong, but at first they loose TAWS, then they completely loose the map on the right screen, leaving only the HSI working.
I agree it didnt’ put them in any danger, but that’s because they were in optimal weather, with a proper backup for routing (Ipads).

Is that a minor issue in a modern GA aircraft (a 2014 airplane is considerable new in my standards guys)? I’m sorry but if that plane was mine, i would expect higher standards from my suppliers!

Totally agree on the looking-out thing. That’s what scares me off a bit from climbing the steps into the different ratings of our flying “carrer” as leisure pilots.
I see so many pilots on youtube where basically all they end up doing is following procedures after prodcedures, flying 90% of the time on AP, looking at charts and maps the whole way, not even realizing they’re actually in the air, flying, all by themsevles, free as birds.

I think i might get easily bored from it, ending up mocking an airline flight, but spending 100x more, and being extremely slower and less safe in comparison.

Of course everone takes from his flying what he wants/needs… but i feel like I am missing something out there that I just can’t see from where I’m standing. What is it?

LILC, Italy

turillo1986 wrote:

leaving only the HSI working.

Which is all they really need, especially since the GPS continued to work.

@turillo1986, if I were you I would be more scared of flying in the same airspace as these guys and literally bumping into them… see-and-avoid is iffy enough at its best, but it is universally acknowledged that actually looking out of the window and scanning the sky is a prerequisite for it.

The need LESS on the screens in front of them, not more.

Biggin Hill

… and I would like to point out one thing …

For those that know me, I rarely criticise other pilots for what they do in their videos, and I hated the thread about the guy flying an approach in a DA42 into Frankfurt, which despite reasonable handing nearly descended into a witch hunt. So yes, engine management and speed management could be better, but hey, it’s his Cirrus and he didn’t ask for my feedback.

But I made an exception on the lookout because, other than the other niggles, this endangers other airspace users.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 18 Dec 16:50
Biggin Hill

Click the CC button gets subtitles from the speech – amusing.
Cobalt have you considered they may be praying in their situation? I was taught at an early age that head down and closed eyes was appropriate when doing so.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

turillo1986 wrote:

I might be wrong, but at first they loose TAWS, then they completely loose the map on the right screen, leaving only the HSI working.
I agree it didnt’ put them in any danger, but that’s because they were in optimal weather, with a proper backup for routing (Ipads).
I wouldn’t mind flying in hard IMC without TAWS and moving map. (But maybe that’s because I learned to fly IFR before there were any GA or consumer GPS receivers.) And you always have a backup map, either on a tablet or on paper.

So from an operational perspective, this was a non event.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 19 Dec 12:33
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I find it rather amusing that the G1000 isn’t capable of reporting what exactly is wrong with it. Not even a hint

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

36 minutes of my life I will never get back watching the worst jello effect I have ever seen

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

LeSving wrote:

I find it rather amusing that the G1000 isn’t capable of reporting what exactly is wrong with it. Not even a hint

What, like the yellow Terrain WRG that appeared in the top right of the PFD?

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 19 Dec 16:59
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

A DA42 & Cirrus operator told me last week “don’t forget those are plastic airplanes. You might prefer a Cessna Citation”.

Paris, France

Rob2701 wrote:

If they were flying mine I would certainly not appreciate the yellow arc descent

Anything particular with the SR22? They reduced speed to Vno before reaching the (benign looking) cloud layer. I would most likely have done the same.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message