Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Paper chart requirements ?

Malibuflyer wrote:

One could obviously scan the paper one – but that is quite some work…

I believe that’s something everybody should do to be honest, I personally consider it a bit reckless not to.

Nowadays, having important documents in paper form ONLY is a risk that calls for trouble and has a very easy solution. Scanning a POH is not that much work because the pages are in a ring binder, so you can feed them into an automated scanner. And you need only do it once and then you have it, keep the original POH in a safe somewhere, and use the electronic PDF whenever you need to consult it.

EDDW, Germany

Peter wrote:

preferences

I do not doubt that. However, the fact is that most us (my generation) are brought up in a world of paper charts and at some point were quite comfortable about it. Paper charts are not perfect. Apart from being obsolete almost by definition, they tear apart, crease, blow out the window (along with the paper checklist, in my case, once in a Grumman Tiger when I opened the canopy in-flight), but we all know that. I have as an instructor flown both x-country training and final checks with PPL students who used electronic charts, and while some managed that well, others lost their maps when an overheated iPad shut down, had to put it out of the sun down to their feet in order to read the screen, ran out of juice and had to ask me for help finding a charger cable, or they were unsure of whether an internet connection were required for the map to be correct. And some more problems. It mainly points back to our flight school and fellow instructors, who had not, and maybe still have not, taken the use of electronic charts seriously enough. It is somewhat complicated by the fact that there are many electronic products out there, and the instructor has to understand all of them reasonably well in order to teach good practice. As the skill test is all about making the examiner feel assured that all is well, I can see the challenge that can sometimes arise when there is an issue with an electronic chart. A good SOP is clearly the way to go, but we are not quite there yet in my school.

Last Edited by huv at 30 Mar 09:07
huv
EKRK, Denmark

The practical situation differs, however, because examiners have their own, shall we say, preferences

Some bizzare stories out there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Does the same apply for PPL/CPL skills tests or are tests treated separately?

From what I’ve seen in part-FCL, there’s no difference for skill tests. The descriptions of skill tests both for the PPL(A) and CPL(A) state that the applicant shall ensure that all documentation for the execution of the flight are on board. It doesn’t say anything about the media used for that documentation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

lionel wrote:

FWIIW, the Luxembourg CAA is happy for privately operated planes to have an electronic-only POH.

Might well be – if you, however, do not buy a factory new plane, it might be not so easy to get an electronic version of the POH for your serial number (with all the additions for changed avionics, etc.). One could obviously scan the paper one – but that is quite some work…

Germany

The POH must be up to date with all the revisions included.

France

Airborne_Again wrote:

Several people have already quoted the relevant text from part-NCO. The POH and charts can all be on electronic media as long as “accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.”

Does the same apply for PPL/CPL skills tests or are tests treated separately?

EDDW, Germany

Several people have already quoted the relevant text from part-NCO. The POH and charts can all be on electronic media as long as “accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

PPG wrote:

Another point, I m always trying to save weight and bringing flight manual is stupid (I also have an electronic version) specially if you have a Robin from 70’ flight manual is handwriting nearly impossible to read without zooming on flies legs. I asked to a controler OSAC (during airworthiness exam) if there is a format. He said no you can print a small copy. Since now I have a A5, recto verso version impossible to read but official, I save weight and it is inside the plane logbook !

FWIIW, the Luxembourg CAA is happy for privately operated planes to have an electronic-only POH.

ELLX

I was just making a funny point that if you have internet you can show VFR chart of Hawaii by googling it after landing even without planning if before takeoff, but if you have in-flight internet that should be enough to comply?

I was told the .pdf briefing packs from AutoRouter including IFR/VFR/VAC plates are highly appreciated by DGAC inspectors

Same, I leave load of paper outside the aircraft, it helps clearing the 50ft obstacle

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 19:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message