Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A normal day with a little bit of flying...

Patrick wrote:

Is that necessary?

Probably not, but then again, did you see the video in question ?

Peter_Mundy wrote:

on this particular flight I think the crew displayed behaviour which fits the above definition.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

… and before a get flamed again, there are over 150 hits with the word “idiot” on this forum

Last Edited by Michael at 18 Feb 13:31
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Most interesting to me is that apparently Matt Guthmiller bought the Bonanza he flew solo around the world… which was at that time leased. Matt was BTW in the right seat in the previous C210 video.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Feb 15:37

I think his videos are worthwhile, interesting and fun to watch. I don’t think at all he is an idiot !
He has flown around the world in his Bonanza, so he must have acquired some skills…

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I don’t get the problem with that video. It is fine. A long day but there are several pilots on board and all seems well done and safe.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I don’t get the problem with that video. It is fine.

No problem with that video, it’s another vid where he’s flying right seat in a Cessna Centurion in S England and having “issues” with ATC.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The other video seems to have been made primarily for entertainment.

A search on Guthmiller digs out some other threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is interesting that many of the youngsters who have done similar flights than Guthmiller have had to endure some less than friendly banter around the pilot circles, up to outright nastiness. Maybe there is some kind of envy in it? I’ve met two worldrounders, one of them a young Swiss who flew around the world in a Silver Eagle at 22. While his flight was commented on very positively in the mainstream media, the forums were less than enthusiastic… kinda weird, GA can use good press and Carlo Schmid certainly got it.

That anyone flying such distances might run into trouble with ATC at some point or another is a probability… When I listen to “Kennedy Steve” on Youtube some times even with a taxi diagram of JFK before me, I wonder how anyone finds his place. And his English is quite good. But many Europeans have trouble in the US initially as some Americans may in Europe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There is a certain amount of envy in GA but I have mostly seen it on the ground, at the airport and it happens a LOT in certain types of flying clubs, and I don’t see any of it here on EuroGA – except maybe in the case of one serial moaner who liked to complain about our fly-ins being only for the privileged (in between sending emails to admins whenever he found a spelling mistake somewhere)

One also has to remember that most high volume forum posters – especially those who keep tossing out vast numbers of one-liners – don’t actually fly, or maybe fly 5hrs/year. One well known UK airfield is a repeated target on one particular UK “aviation pub site” (because it charges £30 to land; actually the same as plenty of others who have managed to avoid the negative stuff) and when someone looked into the background of the principal chimps doing the attacks, it predictably turned out that they fly only a few hours a year…

However I think in the case of “the other video” it is a different thing; they seem to have set out to make something partly for entertainment (by taking the pi$$ out of the rather bizzare UK ATC system) and they can expect to get some incoming for that, because the UK system is not completely idiotic and anybody who does the bare minimum of due diligence can get about in it perfectly well (especially under IFR).

I also think that if one wants to have yet another go at that video, they should do it in its original thread where it was pretty well done already

I think, on balance, that Guthmiller knows pretty well what he is doing, even if it clearly is possible to do a great deal of flying on the “it will be allright on the night” principle – so long as you get the basics right (icing conditions, avoiding granite, keeping the plane the right way up, and having enough juice in the tanks), because ATC is pretty good at pulling a pilot’s chestnuts out of the fire

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the UK video was a normal VLOG but done, as they all are, for entertainment. He seems a very competent pilot but rather cavalier about places that are not the US.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message