Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacate runway without taxi clearance

the reason is simply, runways and taxiways are under different responsibilities / jurisdictions, i.e. ground and tower. It’s part of the PPL training to ALWAYS hold short (unless cleared for taxi or told to expect a follow me car) on the solid line side (apron side) of the yellow lines separating those two. It is paramount to understand that the solid line always tells you to stop unless cleared to proceed., while coming from the dotted line side tells you to cross them and hold short behind. Legally, you are are still on the runway when you haven’t crossed these lines. The airbus behind you has to perform missed approach due to “runway blocked” and you’ll have to pay for it.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 12 Jun 08:27
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

" The airbus behind you has to perform missed approach due to “runway blocked” and you’ll have to pay for it."
Financially?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

EuroFlyer wrote:

while coming from the dotted line side tells you to cross them and hold short behind.

Makes sense. There are quite a few other ‘life hacks’ at big airports that are not apparent to everyone I think. Also the different colour scheme for the signs ‘next taxiway is XY’ and ‘here starts taxiway XY’ I found quite helpful once I realised the difference.

EDAV, Germany

Andi wrote:

Instead I carried on very slowly, as I just had put on the breaks for making it on to the first taxiway without tires squealing. You can guess the rest, first I was quickly reminded to vacate asap and afap (as fast as possible) and after making it onto the taxiway the explanation followed.

Well, a runway is the most demanded piece or real estate on any airport so you want to spend the MINIMUM time you can possibly manage on it. That forcibly means, after landing, you take the next taxiway you can safely reach unless you have explicitly been told by the tower to vaccate at a specific one further down the runway. In the latter case, I would probably try to touch down a bit later so as not to taxi on forever. They will appreciate it.

If you get an inconvenient taxiway, they will let you know or even stop you while you turn. But if ATC wants you off at a particular place or to a particular side, they will tell you either before landing or during roll out. If you do get out on the wrong side, they’ll turn you around and then expeditiously cross you back to the right side within a forthnight, no major problem there. :)

And you don’t have the obligation to leave rubber on the runway to get that “first” taxiway, you land and vaccate where you can safely do so. Over enthusiastic short landings have in the past gone embarrassingly wrong: Mate of mine years’n years ago took the “first taxiway” a bit too literal, braked down his airplane REAL hard after landing on the first squarefoot of concrete available, only to find himself face to face with a DC8 waiting to line up and confronted by a crew laughing their behinds off. It is not reported whether their laugh disappeared when both main tires on that AS202 deflated, disabling the airplane until it could be removed from it’s predicament….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Silvaire wrote:

The protocol is to completely pass the hold short lines, then stop and get taxi instructions before proceeding. After landing you do not switch to ground frequency (if applicable) until the entire aircraft is completely past the hold short lines, therefore you cannot receive a taxi instruction until that point.

Of course this is what is taught and known (hopefully) by anyone with a PPL but this is the exact type of thing that I wonder “where is this written?”

Sweden

I find you are often given a “vacate at” especially at larger airports.

Two points, if you cant stop in time to do so, dont, only you know when it is safe to vacate, and, if you are not given a “vacate at”, as everyone else has said, vacate as soon and as quickly as you safely can, it is then up to the controller to sort out your route onto stand / parking.

If your speed i sunder controller and you could have vacated where asked but didnt, accept you got it wrong and carry on to the next point as quickly as you can – we all miss turn offs.

Finally, at some point before landing it is well worth a glance at the plate to familiarise yourself with the exits – it can be surprisingly useful to have the picture in mind, and sometimes worth knowing also so you can ask to land long if the GA parking is at the far end.

St Pete KPIE can get busy and the controller sometimes instructs which taxiway to vacate at. I’ve never been told off, but when it’s nonstop C172s-Allegiant-USCG-UPS you really don’t want to take the wrong exit

It took a while to find, but I’ve seen this FAA quiz used as disposable restaurant placemats.

Edit: just did the quiz, but had to guess 8 & 16 (luckily got them the right way round)

Last Edited by Capitaine at 18 Sep 11:05
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

just did the quiz, but had to guess 8 & 16 (luckily got them the right way round)

I did the quiz too – also had to guess 8 & 16 but got them the wrong way. Those two markings are not ICAO standards, are they?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Redhill has a nice layout on runway 36 licensed grass & 07 tarmac which is a taxiway but also used as runway, it gets tricky if you land on 18 and want to vacate at the end of it then taxi to fuel, ATC understand constraint of not being able to stop on wet muddy grass to get a taxi a clearance but they still expect,
- One to land on 18, vacate at D1 and then ask for 180 to enter the 07 runway at C1 and then taxi to fuel via B2
- One to land on 18, vacate on nearby grass and ask for fuel/park taxi clearance while taxying
- Or best arrange your taxi clearance before landing

I guess you can always vacate as you wish as long as it is not another runway

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Sep 13:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Q
The wording in the question doesn’t match the AIM: it’s an on-request taxiway holding position. I guess it does provide wingtip clearance on a taxiway intersection. The best I found was a powerpoint which references ICAO recommendations on pages 24-27.

K
Vehicle Roadway Markings, also in the AIM, but can’t find much more. I doubt these are ICAO. The zipper markings are also used in Australia (ATSB report with a photo)

Edit: added photos

Last Edited by Capitaine at 18 Sep 14:41
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message