Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Missing waypoints in GPS databases

What does the overall certification process look like, and who controls it?

Probably like ISO9000

Jepp's biggest advantage is that the vast majority of world's aviation uses their IFR stuff, so errors will normally come to light quickly. Also I think they have very good people doing that stuff.

Conversely, their VFR products are far less used (a very fragmented market, and most private pilots want everything for free, understandably) and this unfortunately means their VFR products contain many more errors. I used to fly with the Bottlang guides and once you got into southern Europe, they were a joke.

Ultimately, the most accurate data is going to be that which gets exercised most.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One plate which references EVREN is Sep 2012 and another is April 2013, so this isn't a simple case of update cycle overlap.

I just looked it up. All approch charts for Rennes were updated 24-May-2013 (effective 30-May-2013). There is no EVREN to be found anywhere any more. Cross checked with French AIP (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/framesetaipfr.htm).

EVREN is history, your database is good :-)

EDDS - Stuttgart

most VFR pilots want everything for free

I must protest here, though I follow the general drift of your argument. Myself, and most VFR pilots around me, never had an issue with paying a fair price for a fair product. Most of us actually buy several low altitude charts per year, at something of 10-15 euri apiece, as they wear quickly with the repeated folding and refolding in a cramped cockpit. Which also leads to the habit of marking one's routes upon them with fluo's, they'll radiate from the homebase anyway. I never saw, or heard, or heard tell of, a pilot who took a paper map to the village copyshop. Wouldn't be profitable anyway, I reckon.

Ultimately, the most accurate data is going to be that which gets exercised most.

That sounds reasonable, but I learn from Achimha that we should add the condition "... and which is certified for the job at hand" leaving precious few options, apparently.

PS I gladly second your (lack of?) appreciation of ISO 9-whatever certification. From professional experience, I have learned to describe such certificates as "If we cannot help the poor young little innocent bride into guaranteeing a satisfactory wedding night, let us at least make sure her wedding cake is ok". As if that is what she most cares for...

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I changed my post on that point, later...

I think private pilots generally want to pay as little as possible, which is understandable.

But it means the data gets a lot less exercise.

The thing is that, for VFR, you can navigate any way you like, and nothing stops you writing your own GPS package and run your own data, on a tablet or whatever. For IFR, this has been restricted in that the carriage of certified kit is mandatory (in most contexts).

Administrator

I don't think ISO9000 is required or has anything to do with it. Though you need to have some sort of quality system in place.

What's needed is a Letter of Acceptance from the EASA.

LSZK, Switzerland

@tomjnx, could it be you missed the emoticon Peter posted just below "ISO-9000" ? That is certainly the one I wanted to subscribe - nothing serious there, but then really nothing!

Which of course leaves my question alive: who or what does govern and validate the grant of this famous Letter of Acceptance from EASA ?

To be taken more seriously than ISO9000? I reserve my right to doubt!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Indeed; I used ISO9000 as a joke.

Here in the UK it is mandatory to do big business with any big firm. So one chucks a few k at a consultant who writes your "quality manual" and generates a load of forms, etc. It is a sham, 99% of the time. Firms who made crap before continue to make crap, and firms who make good stuff can make good stuff without a formal system like that.

Aviation - at the GA equipment level - is not a lot better in the way things are certified.

In the end, as I said, it is commercial realities which determine the quality of the product, in most cases, I suspect...

Administrator

One plate which references EVREN is Sep 2012 and another is April 2013, so this isn't a simple case of update cycle overlap.

I just looked it up. All approch charts for Rennes were updated 24-May-2013 (effective 30-May-2013). There is no EVREN to be found anywhere any more. Cross checked with French AIP (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/framesetaipfr.htm).

EVREN is history, your database is good :-)

Not so fast!

It is listed here. Your text to link here...

It's not associated with any airway, but it is still a valid point.

Jepp's database isn't correct.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

It's not associated with any airway, but it is still a valid point.

Quite apart from the database issue, if a point isn't associated with an airway or a procedure, then should ATC be sending you to it?

I can't find any reference to this (other than the normal rule that when you are on an RNAV procedure, they should only clear you to points on that procedure), but it would make sense...

EGEO

@dublinpilot

Jepp's database isn't correct.

The document you refer to is dated May 2nd, 2013.

"what next" refers to documents that have became effective on May 30th, 2013.

Correction: I re-checked source document. The list of "significant points", given in ENR 4.3-1 dated 02 MAY 2013 of the French AIP, is still valid,

with EVREN still listed.

YSCB, Australia
Sign in to add your message