Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

It is possible that FF makes use of the Eurocontrol “route suggest” feature. This has been there since for ever and usually was not useful because the whole route was done at a single level (like for airliners). This method should be a last-resort thing for any half decent tool.

Now, obviously, if FF used the above for your 1st try, and then AR generated a much better route, Eurocontrol would have seen that route and maybe stored it, so FF got it next time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is possible that FF makes use of the Eurocontrol “route suggest” feature. This has been there since for ever and usually was not useful because the whole route was done at a single level (like for airliners).

I doubt this – these suggested routes very often don’t validate; they are based on previously filed plans and don’t follow airspace changes.

Now, obviously, if FF used the above for your 1st try, and then AR generated a much better route, Eurocontrol would have seen that route and maybe stored it, so FF got it next time.

To me it looks more like FF stored it and then reuse it but you might be right.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

these suggested routes very often don’t validate

I recall that from FF and thought it was particularly dumb – like selling somebody a car with no engine

FF would not have noticed a route generated by AR, surely?

Administrator

FF would not have noticed a route generated by AR, surely?

No. FF validates whatever you enter in route field. I reported to support team on several occasions how Autorouter/Garmin Pilot still had superb routing compared to FF.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Autorouter/Garmin Pilot still had superb routing compared to FF.

I use FF for IFR flight planning for last year (more then 80 flights in Europe) and its superfast in routing and never had problem with Eurocontrol validation.
Ive tried couple of times to use Garmin Pilot autoroute but it takes lot of time for autorouting.

Italy

It first depends on your subscription, but I add some issues even with the PP+. It was 2 years ago.

LFMD, France

I use FF for IFR flight planning for last year (more then 80 flights in Europe) and its superfast in routing and never had problem with Eurocontrol validation.

I’ve been using FF for more than 5 years, 80-90 flights a year. FF hasn’t provided better routing than Autorouter on a single route while opposite is quite common. However, in majority cases routes are similar and FF is ok but there cases where FF simply fails while I don’t remember AR failing or giving ridiculously long routes. AR on average is a bit slower but who cares if it takes 1, 2 or 5 minutes to deliver the best route – you do it once (or twice) per flight.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi all,

I know I haven’t been around much lately so wanted to share some release notes from the latest release which came out today – 16.3

Aeronautical Map Drawer

• A consolidated drawer now houses all Aeronautical Map toggles and settings, optimizing space when you aren’t using it.
  • Tap the new button in the lower-left corner of the Maps view with the Aeronautical Map layer enabled to open the drawer and toggle map elements like airports, airspace, waypoints, airways, terrain, and more, or tap the ellipses button at the very bottom to access Aeronautical Map Settings.
  • Below the toggles are new Aeronautical Modes for IFR High, IFR Low, and VFR, which you can select to quickly change altitude-based map elements like waypoints, navaids, airways, ATC boundaries, and VFR map elements.
  • Any changes you make to the quick toggles or settings only apply to the currently selected Aeronautical Mode, so you can configure each mode with separate toggle selections and settings and change all of them at once just by switching modes.
  • The Aeronautical Map Drawer will automatically close after a period of inactivity – 10 seconds by default. You can increase or decrease this time using the “Auto-Dismiss After” setting at the top of the Aeronautical Map Settings menu. You can also tap anywhere on the map to close the drawer.

Basic Navlog Template

• Tailored for VFR pilots, the new Basic Navlog offers a cleaner format resembling a traditional navlog.
  • From the Flights view, tap the Navlog button next to Briefing at the top of a flight plan to open the Navlog, then tap the Settings cog in the top-right to select the Basic template.
  • The Basic Navlog also has better print quality compared to the other Navlog formats, especially when using half-sheet printing.

Power Lines on Basemap

• Plan and fly with global power line depictions on ForeFlight’s high-resolution Basemap for enhanced hazard awareness.
  • Power lines are depicted on the map in a distinct maroon color, presented as lines with hash marks for easy identification.
  • The Basemap is usually paired with the Aeronautical Map and can be seen by turning off other chart layers that cover it. Download the high-resolution basempa for other regions in More > Downloads > Data Settings.

Sentry Allows Cellular Data

• Access internet data in ForeFlight via your device’s cellular connection even while connected to any Sentry-family ADS-B receiver to check internet-sourced radar, amend a flight plan prior to takeoff, and more.
  • Internet-based map layers will remain selectable while connected to Sentry so you can easily jump between them and live ADS-B weather while receiving cellular data.

New Airspace Settings

• Tailor the display of airspace on ForeFlight’s Aeronautical Map with global Class E airspace filtering and more granular control over different types of Special Use Airspace.
  • Previously only applied to US airspace, the Class E toggle now shows or hides Class E airspace globally. This toggle has also been grouped with TRSA and Mode C toggles in the Controlled Airspace section of the Aeronautical Map Settings menu.
  • The new Special Use Airspace section of the Settings menu combines existing toggles for Parachute Areas and ADIZ with new, more granular toggles: “Prohibited & Restricted,” “MOA, Alert, and Training,” “Caution, Danger, & Warning,” “TRA & TSA,” and “Other.”
  • Access these and other airspace settings via the Settings button at the bottom of the new Aeronautical Map Drawer.

Southern Africa VFR Charts

• Detailed VFR charts providing comprehensive local airspace details are now accessible for several countries across southern Africa: Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
  • You can add this region to your ForeFlight subscription via the ForeFlight website and select countries in More > Downloads > Region Settings to download charts.

Check out foreflight.com/releases for more detailed information.

All the best and see you at AERO Friedrichshafen if you are attending!

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

@Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight can you address the problem in FF whereby the AIP terminal charts are suppressed for display even if they are only very slightly out of the AIRAC cycle?

It is very possible to go for a week since the last FF update and it won’t display the charts.

Above

Administrator

Any body figured out how to display UK VFR charts? I only get the SE corner of England, presumably using a French chart?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message