Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Friedrichshafen Aero 2023 - the long way around

I’m planning to visit Aero this year, but instead of in the TB20 with @Peter I’ll be taking my little yellow powered parachute:

I plan on 75kts – it will do 80 but it’s a bit too noisy at that speed. However, it will take off and land just about anywhere so the idea is to stop every hour or so and visit as many airfields as possible.

The outbound trip from the UK will be through France and the return trip through Germany/Belgium. I’d probably stop at Markdorf instead of EDNY to make life easy. Maybe hop over to Switzerland for the day if I get time.

I’ve been looking at airfields halfway up France that I can stop overnight. Ideally, I’d like to be able to walk to a local town (<2km) where there may be a b&b and restaurant. So far I’ve found:

Plivot LFSW – seems to be a nearby town with b&b

LFQK – this would be a taxi ride to town

LFEU – possible b&b within walking distance, not sure on restaurants though

Neufchateu LFFT – this looks closest to a big town of any of the airfields enroute.

I prefer grass where possible for the tailwheel.

I’m open to all other suggestions that anyone may have too, for airfields in eastern France for an overnight stopover. Fuel isn’t a big deal as I will be stopping at other places with fuel.

On the way back, I’d love suggestions for overnight in Western Germany.

I’m thinking something like this so far. The emphasis is to visit small grass fields that I couldn’t otherwise visit in something bigger.

United Kingdom

Great project !
I would add LFGR, LFSE, LFGU and LFSH.

I would enjoy a report on this trip.

LFOU, France

Awesome trip!

For the arrivial: Markdorf might not work, as they only allow Ultralights. (Think yours a permit?). Many go to Konstanz (EDTZ) and take the Boat the Friedrichshafen. Konstanz itselve is also worth a visit.

There are some great grass strips around, take a look at Bad Waldsee (EDMZ) Only 35min away by car from the AERO, and most probably not as crowded as Konstanz

Keep us updated!

Last Edited by Matt_FK at 18 Feb 20:55
Austria

Looks fun, can’t you convert tri-cycle and tailwheel and go for Colmar?

as they only allow Ultralights. (Think yours a permit?).

I think you can have these with 449kg with BMAA or 499kg with LAA
In France, that is sometimes 5€ vs 10€ landing fee

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Feb 21:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the responses. LFGR looks a good option too – ideally I want to fly about 3hrs/3 legs per day, that way I have no time pressures, other than to arrive at the destination by sunset.

@Matt_FK I see Markdorf is UL only but my understanding is that this means <600KG? Mine is permit, not “microlight” but 499KG. @Ibra is right that it can be both, though mine is too heavy in reality.

Edit: skydemon pilot notes for Markdorf says a UK Bristell went there last year. A Bristell in the UK is an LAA permit only (technically SEP).

Last Edited by IO390 at 18 Feb 21:40
United Kingdom

As i read it: only for Aircraft registred as Ultralights. Not weight dependent

Markdorf is a glider field, but is open for UL during AERO, but you could try to contact the Airfield about that

Edit: probalby works if you look like an UL 😄

Last Edited by Matt_FK at 18 Feb 21:54
Austria

Well, “ultralight” doesn’t exist for G reg :)

I’ll take a look at EDMZ too anyway, good to have options.

United Kingdom

In Germany, UL < 600kg, so it should be fine only in UK & France where one is stuck with +/-50kg or +/-75kg differences and variants

See you in EDNY !

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Feb 23:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would be careful Markdorf. They like to check aircraft arriving there.

Check the general permit angle. I know France allows British „permit“ aircraft without further formalities, but what about Germany, Switzerland and Belgium?

Nice, small, but public, non FR-only airfields with the town in very easy walking distance are LFFT, LFGE, LFGQ, LFQH. At LFSH, while the actual town is a bit further away, there is a hotel/restaurant close by.

For the beautiful southwest of Belgium: EBSH has hotel/restaurant on the field. Town is an extended walk. EBSG has a lot of stuff nearby, but nothing pretty.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

IO390 wrote:

A Bristell in the UK is an LAA permit only (technically SEP).

That depends on the Bristell model, doesn’t it? AFAIU the B23 is not an EASA LSA but a regular ICAO CofA aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message