Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

From the end of the world

Blackstone results arrived, all metals read very low.

Chrome was higher in the last two reports, probably because of the new cylinder we installed before we left. It’s back to normal now.

The low oil pressure (at top end of yellow arc) did not do any harm, I think. I was a little afraid, tin and copper could go up from the Babbit of the bearings, but it didn’t. Readings are as low as always

Last Edited by terbang at 06 Jan 14:54
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Hopefully this link will work for a photo I took at -19C

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

highflyer wrote:

For me the most interesting information is that one cannot count on the rule of thumb which says you will get no ice if the OAT is lower than -15°C.
Unless there is convection… Then there really is no limit. Good that everything worked out all right for the terbang flight.

I can’t wait until the next installment!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you all!

Silvaire wrote:

The photos are spectacular and make me want to leave for Chile now!

Bring one of your planes if you can! It’s really a great country for pilots. Even though I have to amend the section on fees: It was found on departure that we had to pay about 50€ more. Still amazing, 75€ for flying around, landing at seven airports and park for 35 days in total

highflyer wrote:

For me the most interesting information is that one cannot count on the rule of thumb which says you will get no ice if the OAT is lower than -15°C.

Yes, but it was rather light. In retrospect it was probably the wrong decision. If we had stayed at 180, we would have been out of the clouds 10 or 15 minutes later. But you never know…

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I think that’s a pretty good theory…

Silvaire wrote:

This sounds like it may be a oil pressure controlled propeller issue?

Yes, I think it had to do with it. The pressure relief valve is spring loaded and simply dumps excessive “primary pressure” to the sump. My theory is that increasing the RPM resulted in a peak of that “primary pressure” and the valve opened but failed to close again. There are many reports in forums where a particle jammed the valve with similar effects. In one case there was an issue with a piston pin plug and they found a lot of debris in the filter. We found absolutely nothing. So either my theory is completely wrong, or it jammed for another reason, or the particle went undetected. Continentals have screen before the oil filter that’s not accessible.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Amazing trip!

Great report and pics as always!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The contrary to a Burger run, amazing trip!

Berlin, Germany

Wonderful writeup and great pics again

I do hope you sort out that problem. Oil analysis is a very good idea in this case; should provide an early warning.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message