Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Connext

How much is the Garmin Pilot app?

30 days trial period is free – then you will need

Global Premium Subscription 1 year = 179,99 €
Europe (*) VFR & IFR Charts 1 year = 449,99 €

plus other add-ins like “Safe Taxi” = 49,99 €

You can buy VFR charts for different countries separately (e.g. Switzerland 44,99 €) – only European IFR charts is 269,99 – but you always need this Global Premium Subscription to start with.

• Europe means as far as VFR charts are concerned only 10 countries … e.g. France only NE
EDxx, Germany

I tried out the Garmin app yesterday (on the ground) and especially like the weather overlays. What I’m missing compared to SkyDemon are graphical NOTAMS.

Do I get it right that the 450 Euros are just for the AIP approach plates? The airspace maps must be already included in the basic subscription, or not?

Seems very expensive to me …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Prices in the US sound much better
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-pilot-my-cast-aviation/id340917615

Is there a way to buy Garmin Pilot in the US Apple Store? They also offer the European charts …

EDxx, Germany

Is there a way to buy Garmin Pilot in the US Apple Store? They also offer the European charts …

Yes, but IIRC you need a US-registered credit card. On some cards (e.g. Amex) you can ask to have a secondary billing address, e.g. a friend’s place in the US.

I have to say that (as a self confessed tight bastard who doesn’t want to pay a penny more than the $400/year I already pay for the KLN94 database) I am unimpressed with the fact that you have to pay yet more to use this new “feature”. No doubt Garmin Pilot will also stop working when you stop paying, so you have a situation where some cockpit functionality will totally stop working on Day X.

€450 for AIP-anything (i.e. free data, except German VFR terminal charts) is incredible. Jeppview 4 for all of political Europe (not “Jeppesen Europe” which is much smaller), IFR and VFR, is about €2000/year and you can split it with 3 others (more if you share PDFs… like so many do, which is prob99 why Jepp made printing from JeppFD very impractical) which makes it €500/year. And Jepp terminal charts are vastly nicer than the AIP ones.

Do graphical notams actually work, reliably? I know about the Eurocontrol project to force a machine readable format for notams, but AFAIK it is not there yet.

The missing UK Class A kills it for me as a VFR enroute product. This is such an old issue and it shows that Garmin are totally out of touch with European flying. If they can’t get a common-as-muck problem like UK Class A right, what about the real fun stuff like Italy, where (a) it keeps changing and (b) almost nobody is going to be reporting mistakes to the data publisher in English?

Last Edited by Peter at 24 Jul 10:06
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All I need from this thing is the ability to flight plan on my iPad so I am able to download the plan onto the GTN650 and for the aircrafts GPS position to my iPad so that my Jepp flight deck pro has reliable position data to work with.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message