Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS approaches -> Checkout?

I did it together with my IR, so I don’t know all the details but from what I hear it’s still nothing special and can be combined with the checks you need to do anyway. But I think it will get worse in the future.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Sorry, but

can be combined with the checks you need to do anyway.

… I don’t need to do any checks “anyway” before flying to Switzerland! And not just me.

But I think it will get worse in the future.

Worse than that??

For reference, here the 15-page bureaucratic masterpiece we’re talking about. Grandfathering rights? Nah. Everybody has to do it, no matter how much prior experience.

I am confident that EASA as a whole will be more reasonable and pragmatic than the Swiss FOCA.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Nov 16:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You don’t need to do bi-yealy checks to renew your SEP?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

You don’t need to do bi-yealy checks to renew your SEP?

no, do you? all my SEP renewals were done just by signature of FE as I have 12+ hours and met all other conditions…

Last Edited by Michal at 15 Nov 16:38
LKKU, LKTB

Doesn’t work like that in Switzerland (not sure if it is an EASA rule). You need to have 12 hours, 12 landings, 6 as PIC and a flight of at least 1 hour. Here is the form for the revalidation.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

SEP revalidations don’t require the involvement of any ATO. Not even of an examiner

Actually, I don’t intend to get in touch with any ATO again at all, in the foreseeable future (except maybe for doing flight instruction myself).

This is from the CAA site: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=2685&pagetype=65&appid=54&mode=detail&appproc=30. It says:

To revalidate a rating you must:
within the 3 months before the rating’s expiry date, pass a proficiency check in the relevant class in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part with an examiner;
or
within the 12 months before the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:
* 6 hours as PIC;
* 12 take-offs and 12 landings; and
* a training flight of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI).
You are exempt from this flight if you have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane within the 12 months before the expiry date.

I’ve always worked with a school and an FI from it, so I never thought about FIs working outside of ATOs but I assume that’s what you are saying: you can find an FI and fly the one hour with him/her without going to an official organization. Does the FI need something special or just a valid FI license?

When I said it’s going to get worse I meant that all countries will implement rules like Switzerland or even worse (requiring courses, etc.).

Last Edited by Vladimir at 15 Nov 17:06
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I’ve always worked with a school and an FI from it, so I never thought about FIs working outside of ATOs but I assume that’s what you are saying: you can find an FI and fly the one hour with him/her without going to an official organization. Does the FI need something special or just a valid FI license?

Of course, that’s how most revals are done! Why that fixation on training organizations for such minor things? That’s part of what has made flight instruction so expensive over the years and when compared to the US.

And no, the FI does not need anything special beyond his FI or CRI rating. This changed this spring.

When I said it’s going to get worse I meant that all countries will implement rules like Switzerland or even worse (requiring courses, etc.).

I understood but I don’t agree. Cooler heads will prevail.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Nov 17:14

boscomantico wrote:

Why that fixation on training organizations?

I personally don’t have private connections with FIs, so that’s the only way to reach one. But after knowing that now and knowing some FIs already, I might try to go directly to them next time.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 15 Nov 17:14
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

I might try to go directly to them next time.

once you are in the community, you´ll find a difference between a flight with an instructor and check with examiner ;-)

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message