Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Great deal on a Mooney M20J (and how to get a hangar)

That was a quick sale! Am I right in saying you bought it from Italy about 2.5 years ago? Looks familiar to something I was saw when searching for mine.

EIMH, Ireland

So, today I delivered n201hs to its new owner in prague, and of course it was the perfect flight so I would be full of regret all the way.
At one point I was at 190 knots over the ground, Bordeaux to Prague in 4 hours!!, Mooney magic.
I wish the new owner all the best, and I will be keeping my eyes open for something in the Bordeaux region with a hangar included

Last Edited by aidanf123 at 27 Oct 17:43

ch.ess wrote:

He bought the plane off the happy owner 10k or so but INCL the hangar space.

Brilliant.

Some engines & planes cannot be run long at high power without a cowling, some can. Obviously some never had a pressure cowling in the first place, e.g. Stearman and J-3. The banner tow planes in my area started life as Cubs with some kind of cowling but now fly with none at all, nothing covering the engine forward of the firewall. Given that they now run four cylinder Lycomings designed for a pressure cowl, I’ve wondered how this works. The legalities are covered by a Restricted Category registration, they are single purpose working planes.

You can certainly fly a rusted engine. I knew a guy who kept a heli at Shoreham. Every 6 months he turned up, put on his latest sunglasses, started it up, a big cloud of red smoke came out, and went for a flight.

I am surprised about the casual running of an engine withoit cowling. I learnt early on that there is a high risk of local overheating w/o proper airflow. Not true ?

No problem with it; it is routine post-maintenance to check for leaks etc. I would not run it for a long time though – say 20 mins, or anything approaching the normal oil running temperature. Certainly you cannot fly the plane with the cowlings off because the airflow through the cylinders will be all wrong (it’s also illegal, I am sure).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dont know how the TB10 got out.
I had talked to the hangar owner some months before that, out of interest for that plane and he suggested to forget that because of the work required.
Given that he a) flew since early childhood b) owns several rented out planes and c) otherwise had no particular interest himself in the plane, I took his information as fairly reliable (he flies planes in a state that I wouldnt…)

On a side note, I am surprised about the casual running of an engine withoit cowling. I learnt early on that there is a high risk of local overheating w/o proper airflow. Not true ?

Last Edited by ch.ess at 25 Sep 06:07
EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

At an airport near Munich, where I learnt, a guy did the following trick.

He bought the plane off the happy owner 10k or so but INCL the hangar space.

He certainly isn’t the only one to have done that :)

ELLX

ch.ess wrote:

He bought the plane off the happy owner 10k or so but INCL the hangar space. Then polished paintwork and windows and cleaned it inside. People wondered about the repairs, but he couldnt be bothered. Put it on ebay and got most of what he invested. Once gone he moved his plane over from the previous airport

Did the buyer fly it out? I always wonder about these posts that describe ‘massive work’ required to fly a plane that has been sitting for a while. Meanwhile I have a known a number of planes that have been made airworthy with a limited amount of work after years of storage. This is an extreme example, a wood winged plane flown out after thirty years. They do mention a ‘fresh engine’, whatever that means when it comes to Franklins that haven’t been supported with new parts since the 70s. It’s a nice story…

Anyway several have flown out local to me after 5 or 10 years.

I agree that buying into a hangar sometimes works without a lot of outlay. I got my hangar by buying an Aerolift that was already in the hangar for $7K, sometime around 2006. A relatively small barrier to entry but enough to limit the market to one person, me. I sold it this year after 13 years of use for $8K

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Sep 02:43

Also, hangar spaces sometimes appear surprisingly. Many hangars are full of hangar queens and people (or their spouses, after the pilot died) eventually get fed up with paying.

At an airport near Munich, where I learnt, a guy did the following trick.
Talked to hangar owner and enquired about hangar queens – found a TB10 not flown in 6-7 year, no chance for a ARV w/o massive work.

He bought the plane off the happy owner 10k or so but INCL the hangar space. Then polished paintwork and windows and cleaned it inside. People wondered about the repairs, but he couldnt be bothered.

Put it on ebay and got most of what he invested. Once gone he moved his plane over from the previous airport ;-)

Smart move… isnt it ?

EDM_, Germany

just wrote a message to Peter saying I might have put the price too low!!, 2 days and only 1 contacr, perhaps people thinks its a scam!!
I thought it was an Iron rule that you can’t make money buying and selling a plane – I am selling at a small loss.
There is nothing else wrong with the plane, it’s an honest price, a real ifr pilot will want a new gps/com and the trim is manual (which I liked actually, nothing like that semi automatic zen hand movement to retrim while flying)

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message