Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN650 or 750?

Peter’s photoshop has inspired this post. We will not debate the wisdom up installing a GTN into a Rallye and upgrading it to IFR…

Assuming a madman does so, does it make sense to install a GTN750 for the double duty (as opposed to a GTN650), of being an MFD as well as flying approaches? I know IPads let you know where you are, but I mistrust wires in the cabin, batteries and summer temperatures.

FWIW I’m getting a top overhaul done on my plane (cylinder corrosion), and simply don’t want to deal with the brain damage of getting another POS aircraft into proper shape, a process that seems to take about two years. I would rather fly a well-sorted slow plane than dream about flying an absolutely brilliant aircraft that is devouring money in the shop.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 27 Jan 16:00
Tököl LHTL

The user interface on the GTN750 is superior to the GTN650 and worth the difference in price IMHO. There is much more margin available in the GTN750 and a competitive dealer can earn more from an installation on a GTN750 than a GTN650. So I advise pilots in the US to negotiate the best competitive deal on a 650 and then tell the dealer he has my business if he accepts the same profit on a 750 install.

KUZA, United States

Get yourself a decent iPad mount with integrated cooling
Spend the rest on flying

Last Edited by Robin_253 at 27 Jan 16:17

I would definitely get the 750. It was clearly the one that was designed, then its excellent design was put in a vice and all the life squeezed out of it.

EGKB Biggin Hill

FWIW I put a 650 in my a/c, partly due lack of space, but it seems to do everything I require and displays approaches adequately. The Garmin display of airspace is very poor (UK)and SD does a much better job of airspace depiction.
Try the simulator and see what you think.

Last Edited by PeteD at 27 Jan 17:03
EGNS, Other

@Robin_253
That advice is so sensible as to be irrelevant…

Tököl LHTL

Just as a different data point – the Avidyne IFD540 has the same functionality as the 750, but is much smaller in size. Somewhere between the 650 and 750. That was one of the reasons I chose mine, as it took up a lot less space than a 750.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 27 Jan 19:48

AdamFrisch wrote:

Avidyne IFD540 has the same functionality as the 750

But means having to buy from Avidyne.

EGKB Biggin Hill

With an iPad Mini “connected” to a GTN650 by FlightStream 510 you will have a decent sized moving map, convenient flight plan entry/modification, and no wires. If either the iPad or the GTN650 goes t/u, the other will continue to operate independently.

However, airspace depiction for VFR on Garmin Pilot is still the industry’s worst, so you really need a smartphone running EasyVFR or SD as well.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Don’t know the price difference (company pays ) but the 750 is definitely easier to use than the 650.

The 650 feels like “750 functionality compressed onto a small screen”. There is scrolling with onscreen up/down buttons involved etc. In a way the display is more like a 430 series.

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message