Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maybe time to change from Magnetic to True? (and proposal in Canada)

Interesting read, especially the FAQ which addresses GA in paras 7 and 8 and which is mostly BS was written by somebody who has never flown a plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just got this from IAOPA:

Are they really going to do this??

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It could be problematic in general aviation under IFR if the navigators cannot be changed over without problems.

I don’t understand this.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Peter wrote: It could be problematic in general aviation under IFR if the navigators cannot be changed over without problems.

I don’t understand this.

I read it as if IOPA meant that ALL the IFR GA have to replace their NAV devices into the new ones (that don’t exist yet?), and if that does not happen (?!), that will be a problem.
And the VFR comment was the most ignorant and patronising…

EGTR

And the VFR comment was the most ignorant and patronising…

I read it as they’re clueless of things they’re writing about.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What would be the actual process to change to magnetic?

It would be a huge amount of work. Not so much flying (where most of us is barely aware of the exact track value) but all the publications, procedures, etc…

Administrator

What would be the actual process to change to magnetic?

For publication & procedures, I don’t think it’s different than the normal process of changing magnetic variation (every 6 months in Canada and every 5 years in other places), regular VOR servicing, regular runway painting…the bonus is less hassle dealing with magnetic errors in avionics: compass swing & card update

The elephant in room is ATC (magnetic) vectoring to use (true) heading on their radar screens: changing anything in the way how aircraft are separated then everyone cries about the loss of safety and banalisation of ATC work

For true north in avionics, I am sure mechanical HSI can be auto-slaved to true north but may require approved GPS source plus non trivial pile of work, for EHSI things are easy: they already fallback on true heading (or TRK) when you lose manometer

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Dec 08:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I am sure mechanical HSI can be auto-slaved to true north but may require approved GPS source plus non trivial pile of work,

I’m sure they can not except by a substantial modification. You would have to use a unit that interface between the magnetometer and the HSI and “rotates” the signal. Modifying the mechanical HSI itself is out of the question.

for EHSI things are easy: they already fallback on true heading (or TRK) when you lose manometer

They revert to true track, but here we’re talking about true heading. But sure, if the EHSI is hooked up to a GPS with a magnetic deviation database/model then it’s “just” a matter of programming.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sure seems like an obvious change that we need to make. Kind of like the USA’s conversion to the metric system.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Does every IFR GPS have a true v. magnetic selection?

for EHSI things are easy: they already fallback on true heading (or TRK) when you lose manometer

I don’t understand.

An EHSI will rotate to whatever value the system feeding it feeds it. Manometer?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message