Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

I had a walkabout around a solar farm not far from here. It was publicised as “10MW” and “enough to power 3000 homes”.

Looking at the transformer

and knowing the transformer core cross-section at 50Hz, it looks nearer to 1MW (which requires 30×30cm, split across the three phases). This is assuming high grade material. It takes seconds on google to find 10MW transformers.

The above one is currently operated from Germany

so clearly the subsidies are worth it. It is nice money for the players

The “3000 homes” is also disingenuous, at ~3kW each. In the UK, you can generally draw 80A (18kW) and a lot of people draw a fair bit of that just in the kitchen.

It makes one wonder how much of this stuff is really a fake subsidy/grant collection exercise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “3000 homes” is also disingenuous

It’s probably based on average consumption. You may be able to draw 80A, but you only draw that much for very short amounts of time. Unfortunately I don’t have an electricity bill to hand to check, but on average my house draws well under 1kW.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

I had a walkabout around a solar farm not far from here. It was publicised as “10MW” and “enough to power 3000 homes”.

Looking at the transformer

Just looking at the google maps link you sent: There seem to be 3 quite similar transformer/inverter structures in the area. So your picture might only show 1/3 of the overall power.
Plus: Are you sure this is the actual transformer/inverter and not just an insulating transformer at the network access?

Germany

There is only one connection to the grid – you can see it where the overhead power lines run – and it isn’t thick enough to be 10MW.

The power lines are 33kV. You would not have an inverter feeding a 33kV line directly.

Administrator

Jujupilote wrote:

The while political scene defends the aeroclub against the ugly mayor. It’s an Easter miracle

Holy cow ! If even Melenchon criticizes that mayor, that’s something to behold!

gallois wrote:

Ahh please don’t get France confused with the UK. Flying, sailing, golf and tennis are not “rich man’s” sports here. They are open to everyone and people without much money can usually find a way to take part.They are often supported by the local community and in return support the local community where possible. The BIA is one prime example.

I’m on EuroGA for 4 years now but whenever this topic comes up, the Brits just don’t seem to comprehend it. It’s really strange. Like the North Sea and the Atlantic form some cultural barrier that separates UK/US from France, Benelux, DACH and Scandinavia (former Communist Eastern Europe is again different).

Last Edited by MedEwok at 21 Apr 08:38
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

the Brits just don’t seem to comprehend it

Which bit?

Flying needs a fair bit of money everywhere; fuel cost dominates the DOC these days. What is the average annual hours of a French aeroclub member? I do have some numbers from people who know but not being French I can’t post them Basically there is no free lunch. Within a given budget, you can spread it thin or you can spread it thick.
Sailing you can do at all sorts of levels, and hanging out all weekend in a sailing club and mucking about on dinghies is very cheap. Basically just the sailing club membership. What you spend in the club bar trying to chat up women will prob99 dominate For a whole family it is a very cheap “social weekend”.
Golf; no idea, never did it, but based on what I hear I am very certain my comment about the bar spend will apply equally (golf clubs work hard to attract women).
Tennis is quite often more of a social activity here; a local “heath club” has a lot of “non-movement” stuff That club costs ~£800/year to join but you can do tennis for a lot less.

Administrator

Flying needs a fair bit of money everywhere; fuel cost dominates the DOC these days. What is the average annual hours of a French aeroclub member?

At 140€ per hour wet for a Robin plus 100€ p.a. membership fees the French scene is similarly priced to if not cheaper than wet US rentals. French club pilots fly more than given credit for.

T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Sailing … For a whole family it is a very cheap “social weekend”.

Hanging around the local airfield is actually less expensive (as airfield cafes tend to be cheaper than yacht club restaurants) – but also “as entertaining” as hanging around the yacht club for a family that is not into yachting.
In terms of cost the fair comparison of “mucking about on dinghies” would actually be glider flying. And for a few EUR you can winch up in a club glider to have some fun.

Doing a cross country trip across Europe in an SR22 with the whole family is obviously a bit more costly – but is cruising around in a 35-40ft yacht for a weekend really cheaper?

Germany

Peter wrote:

Which bit?

The bit about how “true” (non-profit) clubs work, aeroclubs in particular. If you take say 100 or 200 Germans/French/Swedish whatever people of average or slightly above average income and have them pool their financial resources, they all can suddenly afford to buy and fly aircraft. Moreover, by doing certain labour “for free” as part of their club membership, they can further decrease their overall cost (of course, since time is money, that cost is in theory equal to their hourly pay times the hours they worked for the club, so not “free” in the strictest sense of the word).

Inevitably, some members (flying less hours) will subsidise others (flying more) indirectly, but nobody is bothered by that (or they leave the club if they are, but many “Karteileichen” pay until death). Also, since the club is tax exempt, it’s costs are limited to the direct operating cost of the aircraft and rent for club premises (although many clubs own their airfield outright).

This model is quite financially sustainable but still makes the activity of flying more affordable than it would otherwise be.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 21 Apr 10:41
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message