Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Geese

The last two weeks have been terrible with rain and wind. A couple of days ago it cleared up, blue sky, no wind. Migrating geese also noticed this. Can’t remember I have seen this many geese ever before. Huge flocks, each of 100+ birds flying over my house on the way south to wherever they go. This has been going on continuously the last two days, flying at altitude of 2-3k feet to 6-7k at least. How many can there be? where do they all come from? where do they all go? There must be thousands upon thousands all together.

Amazing the way they fly, continuously changing V shapes in formation while making these geese noises, mesmerizing. Cool birds

Of course a real danger to all pilots. But, with the right equipment you can fly with them apparently.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Of course a real danger to all pilots.

The NTSB report of the Hudson miracle noted that the Canadian Geese population had increased four fold. They tend to migrate at 3000 feet and at night. They poop like crap, and when they roam close to beaches, the beaches need to be closed down to the public due to dangerous levels of bacteria. I wish the Geese population would be a fraction of what it is today.

United States

I am certain there are many birds who wish the human population would be a fraction of what it is today.

Biggin Hill

I am sure geese don’t always update their GPS Navdata: I live on the riverbank in the centre of town. Across the river there is a street that takes a 30° right turn from the river. The migrating geese seem to follow the river until they come to this street, then they turn right and follow the ‘street’.

It turns out that the ‘street’ was the river arm until 1910 when the river was straightened. I don’t think there are many 109 year old geese still around.

EBKT

Crossing the N Sea under a 2000’ cloudbase, I flew as high as practicable while remaining VFR. Thinking “what can possibly go wrong out here, 50 mi from the coast” the windscreen suddenly filled with a huge flock of migrating arctic birds, my level, 90 deg course. Not Geese, but big birds, chasing the cloudbase just like me. Hmmm.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message