Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Channel Islands closing down

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All German islands are also closing down for tourists:

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/03/all-north-german-islands-are-closed-to-tourists.html

These are all very popular GA destinations
Don’t know if the airfields themselves will close too.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I suspect not many airports are actually closed.

Firstly there is a lot of refuelling traffic around Europe; ferry flights, etc. Secondly, in much of Europe, especially the more southern parts, the airport is regarded primarily as an employment centre for 50-100 people and if it has no traffic that’s regarded as a bonus And the bigger airports are planned diversions for airlines (weather and possibly even ETOPS etc).

You just can’t get off the airside.

Administrator

MedEwok wrote:

Don’t know if the airfields themselves will close too.

I would keep them open for MedEvac…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

From 23:59 17th March, anyone arriving in the Isle of Man will be required by law to self-isolate for 14 days.

Andreas IOM

Sebastian_G wrote:

I would keep them open for MedEvac…

On second thought I’m pretty sure they will remain open because they are critical infrastructure for the islands.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I can offer one amusing comment on this dire situation.

This thread is now at 20% of the size of the biggest EuroGA thread ever: the CAA policies for busting pilots one So it has some way to go to catch up, and perhaps the former will do less damage to GA than the despicable UK contribution to the latter.

BTW tonight’s UK govt numbers estimate 35k-50k infected in total. Only about 10% of these have been tested. That works out at under 0.1% or 1000ppm of the population, with heavy concentrations in cities.

Administrator

There was me briefly thinking there was a space for GA to take up transport where larger airlines have been unable.

But given the lock downs and effectively closed borders in many parts of Europe, the chance of non-essential non-commercial longer distance flights will be suspended or frowned upon.

I suspect GA would mostly be confined to medical, scientific, S&R, and news reporting applications in the short term now, with some flying school students trying toi make best use of their pre-paid course fees/packages where possible.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 17 Mar 00:47

According to notams, FIS and FPL processing is reduced in France.

LFOU, France

Here is a list of restrictions that is being posted and updated by Eurocontrol:

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message