Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

We seem quite lucky so far here
Well, you can’t legally go to the airfield, except if you have a child there needing help.

Boating and all water sports are forbidden in France, officially to preserve SAR and hospital capacity for the virus patients. French islands have closed to all non-permanent residents (clear f*** off to all even those who have second homes). There has been a massive move of Parisians to the Atlantic coast, since even parks are closed in Paris. I am curious how long it will take Parisians to freak out.

LFOU, France

From 18 MAR 20 11:00 till 05 APR 20 11:00
BELGIAN FIR: NO TRG AND VFR FLIGHTS ALLOWED, EXC: MEDICAL, POLICE, SAR AND PIPELINE INSPECTIONS

so sad :-(

EBKT, Belgium

It’s really puzzling the different time spans from country to country before the gravity (and reality) of this situation starts to kick in. It’s also remarkable how fast it switches over from denial to action throughout the entire population in each country. It happens over night, literally.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s really puzzling the different time spans from country to country before the gravity (and reality) of this situation starts to kick in. It’s also remarkable how fast it switches over from denial to action throughout the entire population in each country. It happens over night, literally.

Or some countries are panicking while others don’t take action until it is needed? Locking down society, closing schools etc. in itself will cause enormous damage to society and, indirectly, to more deaths from other reasons. That is not something you should undertake lightly. Also, how long can you realistically keep schools closed, impose curfew etc. until people start objecting and ignoring the measures? Sure, it’s easy to accept when it begins, but what after a month? Two?

I believe that countries who have been “locked down” too early are going to have major difficulties later on.

In any case, I stand by my opinion that VFR and training flight bans are entirely pointless.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 18 Mar 15:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Swedish Transport Agency today decided that all commercial ratings and licenses may be extended by up to 4, in some cases 8 months, if the virus epidemic makes it impossible to revalidate the rating/license. This includes medical class 1, aircraft maintenance and ATCO licenses and cabin crew, but not PPLs. The operator has to provide additional training, though.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Swedish Transport Agency

EASA

ESME, ESMS

Airborne_Again wrote:

In any case, I stand by my opinion that VFR and training flight bans are entirely pointless.

Maybe, but it has nothing to do with spreading of the virus!

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

Or some countries are panicking while others don’t take action until it is needed? Locking down society, closing schools etc. in itself will cause enormous damage to society and, indirectly, to more deaths from other reasons. That is not something you should undertake lightly. Also, how long can you realistically keep schools closed, impose curfew etc. until people start objecting and ignoring the measures? Sure, it’s easy to accept when it begins, but what after a month? Two?

I believe that countries who have been “locked down” too early are going to have major difficulties later on.

I could not agree more. In deciding what action to take you have to consider what is practical and sustainable. 4-5 people per day die on UK roads, but we do not lock down society to try and prevent it.

EGLM & EGTN

The Swedish Transport Agency today decided that all commercial ratings and licenses may be extended by up to 4, in some cases 8 months, if the virus epidemic makes it impossible to revalidate the rating/license. This includes medical class 1, aircraft maintenance and ATCO licenses and cabin crew, but not PPLs

It is totally nuts to not extend PPLs in the same way. It would cost EASA absolutely nothing to do that, and would protect AMEs who will now have to do medicals while perhaps wearing some protective gear (they don’t get paid if they don’t do medicals). Actually all AMEs do airline pilots as well as private pilots, and while many private pilots can “socially isolate”, no airline pilots can due to their work environment.

Grounding PPLs will just produce a load of deaths via the usual pile of fatal crashes which we see every year when the sun comes out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

EASA

No. The decision was taken by the Swedish Transport Agency. What EASA has done is pointing out that the Basic Regulation article 71 provides for this kind of exemptions. See the actual decision which only refers to the Basic Regulation.

tsl_2020_2110_beslut_pdf

Sign in to add your message