Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

100LL keeps for ever in sealed drums.

In vented aircraft tanks, it should be fine for many months.

Mogas is different – one previous thread is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Curious how they would know where someone infected themselves?

The doctor at the hospital – who is a personal friend – interviewed the patients as they were admitted and found that five of them had all used the same local petrol station.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Could it be that five used the same petrol station by chance?

Not that I doubt this possibility, but this is why “social research” is hard to do well.

Remember that story about the apres ski bar waiter in Austria who reportedly infected about 15 skiers? I wonder how they established that. He would have infected all the other staff there also. Was it via glasses, or via “heavy breathing”

The petrol pump story is claimed to be a hoax here but they do state the blindingly obvious: any surface will spread it.

Administrator

The PPR for VFR in all airspaces is now lifted. A few TMAs still have PPR. Another step back to normal

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter_G wrote:

The doctor at the hospital – who is a personal friend – interviewed the patients as they were admitted and found that five of them had all used the same local petrol station.

Well this is a classic example of some doctor who thinks he’s Columbo all of a sudden.

If you interview five random people in a given town then there’s a good chance most or all of them have used a particular petrol station in the town in the not-too-distant past. It doesn’t mean that’s where they got the virus. They might have done of course, but it is a large leap (and a fundamental violation of Occam’s Razor) to assume they did just because they all went there.

Can you transfer a virus via a petrol pump handle? Of course, it’s a shared surface, isn’t it? The idea that you can is not news.

EGLM & EGTN

LeSving wrote:

The PPR for VFR in all airspaces is now lifted. A few TMAs still have PPR. Another step back to normal

I saw that! And I take it as my birthday gift from the Norwegian CAA :-) Thank you luftfartstilsynet!

ENVA, Norway

The austrian governement published today that starting from the 1st of may we would be allowed to glide again.
Maybe we will also be allowed to fly motorized planes as well.
For me personally the gliding is more important anyway (selflauncher).

Austria

AOPA Germany effort to get some concessions. Don’t know the result so far.

Administrator

I have just got round to reading last week’s returns of experience REX sent out by the FFA. One concerned the convoyage ( ferrying) an aircraft from an uncontrolled airfield to another for maintenance during the lockdown.
Two aircraft made the journey one to be left for maintenance, the other would return with the pilot of the first.The 2 pilots doing the ferrying firstly filled in the forms we all need to complete when leaving the house, they then got an attestation from the president of the aero club with the details of the maintenance etc. They also got an attestation from the DGAC agreeing that the maintenance fell within work that needed to be done.
Unusually they needed to file a flight plan for each direction. This was apparently simple to do on SkyDemon. Their biggest problem was closing the flight plans after each leg, as both airfields were unmanned, and the normal FIS for the region and the BRIA were difficult to get hold of due to staff shortages. But other than that all went well each way. One slight hiccup on return there was a message to call the military commander (Armée de l’air), which they duly did, to be told that the problem had already been sorted in that the details needed had arrived between the call from the military to the club and the club returning the call.
So @Skydriller it looks like there might be a way for you to fly out but it is a bit cumbersome.

France

I consider beginning to fly again next week. My homebase was not shut and apparently the school I rent from is still open, albeit at a much reduced activity level.

Legally, it is a grey area though. It certainly is a non-essential journey, but depending on how you interpret the rules, it might be permissible if flying alone. Most other GA airports in the area are (voluntarily) closed.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message