Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

New regs have just come out in the UK, effective 13th May.

Summary local copy

It is clear that A-to-B GA flying is now permitted, regardless of distance, because it is permitted in a “vehicle”:

For overnights, you will need to bring a tent

The actual law is here local copy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the first time in my life I wish I lived in England.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I could offer my opinion on why Scotland has different rules but then I would have to move my post to the politics thread

There is no rational reason for Scotland to have stricter rules. It obviously has a lower population density than England. I don’t think there is greater general poverty (correlating with poor health → greater susceptibility to CV19) in Scotland than in England.

What will be interesting is what the CAA will come out with in the form of “guidance”. They are being pressed for an interpretation by 1000000 “pilots” on UK GA social media, who are unable to engage their common sense selector into Position 1. It would not surprise me if we get something totally arbitrary (and illegal) like a max 20nm radius limitation.

To be fair there are probably airports who don’t want to risk their CAA license (which can be refused without any real reason) and who want the CAA to come up with something, legal or not.

Administrator

Are uk airfields reopening ? That’s the key.

Just received an email from my club. Reopening on May 16, every member will need a briefing and flight with an club instructor, even if legal to fly. Bummer.
I am guessing many pilots (low flyers, especially above 60, so the main bulk) won’t resume flying because of the risk pf contamination and the hassle of disinfecting the plane. They will wait for the pandemic to reduce, and probably never resume again

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 May 07:47
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Just received an email from my club. Reopening on May 16, every member will need a briefing and flight with an instructor. Bummer.

Not only a Bummer, but in some cases completely crazy depending upon the experience levels of some pilots. Can you not point out that deliberately making ALL members share a cockpit with someone is introducing risk where in many cases it isnt required? I have already made my own personal decision that I wont be flying with a club instructor – either I fly solo or I dont fly. There are very few in my aeroclub under the age of 50. I dont know how I would feel if I passed on something to an instructor and the virus ripped through all my fellow members, many of whom are good friends, and some didnt make it…

Regards, SD..

100% agree.

I will have another issue : when I wear a mask, my glasses are fogged up in 2 seconds and stay so permanently. I have to wear my glasses per my medical. All clubs will require masks.
How do you do that ?

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

I will have another issue : when I wear a mask, my glasses are fogged up in 2 seconds and stay so permanently. I have to wear my glasses per my medical. All clubs will require masks.
How do you do that ?

Well, Aeroclubs are by members for members – it will be in the statutes. If you are really concerned, I think you should be approaching the aeroclub and pointing out your flight experience and any reservations about what they are doing – if it was me, I would be also submitting a list of flight exercises I would practice (which I will be doing on my first flight for 2 months anyway). Then, if you are solo, why would you wear a mask?

Regards, SD..

I won’t come back to my old club, it is too big and won’t allow bending their rules. But all clubs will require masks, and I will have to be checked out somewhere else. So same issue.
A mask prevents spraying your saliva everywhere in the cockpit I guess.

LFOU, France

For avoidance of doubt, Glenswinton Aerodrome is open and we welcome all inbound and outbound A to B flights.

With regard to the Wuhan virus and any other risk, we are satisfied that airmen will use common sense without any need for “guidance”.

We note that pilots and passengers who live in Scotland may still need a reasonable excuse for leaving home. A non-exhaustive list of such excuses is here.

As part of their pre-flight self-briefing, we encourage visitors to read the relevant parliamentary JOINT COMMITTEE ON HUMAN RIGHTS CHAIR’S BRIEFING PAPER in it’s entirety.

We are, as ever, happy for visitors to give us a phone call before landing – if they so wish.

Last Edited by Jacko at 13 May 08:29
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It is really dumb to require a blanket checkout like this, for a pilot who has a load of hours over some years.

I was so delighted to get evicted from the oppressive and patronising “school environment” when I got my own plane. They did continue to make use of “my services” to ferry wives and girlfriends of students (who were mostly blokes) on a few school fly-outs so I did a few flights with a plane load of women, but they were already “booked” so of absolutely no use to me

Lots of owners have gone for a few months or more of not flying, due to prop strikes and other hassle, and they don’t all go crashing afterwards.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message