Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low wing versus high wing

High wing planes do not need additional fuel pumps.

Berlin, Germany

Well, birds aren’t high wing, they are shoulder wing

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I personally prefer low wings, but high wings do have important advantages, too:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

I personally prefer low wings, but high wings do have important advantages, too:

Indeed, you also can keep out of the rain when getting in and out and don’t need to stand on seats

UK, United Kingdom

My own plane (TR182) is high wing, but I’ve flown plenty of low wing (and biplane) types. HIgh wing is much easier to get in and out of, low wing is imo marginally easier to land – hold the right attitude and ground effect takes care of the rest, whereas high wing requires a tiny extra pull just before touchdown to grease it on. Low wing doesn’t necessarily imply only-one-door but Piper/Mooney/Beech all seem to have thought it did, which is really dumb. I really like the DA40, which doesn’t suffer from that problem and with the seats forward of the wing has nearly as good visibility as a heli.

LFMD, France

I prefer 2 door high wing and own a canopy low wing. Low wingers do seem easier to land in stiff crosswinds.

Isn’t the purpose of this thread to go rabid on the topic? :)

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 05 Mar 21:55
Tököl LHTL

I flew a pa18 today and I wouldn’t say access is easy…

LFMD, France

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Low wingers do seem easier to land in stiff crosswinds.

You have to say if it is on crabbing or wing down I fly low wings most of the time, I find them twitchy on crosswinds but the lengthy float give you more time to fix things

In the other hand, I flew a rented Cardinal that did bloody well on crosswind with only 8h on it, I was not expecting it to land at that destination on the day but I “think” aircraft managed more than 35kts crosswind on the first try, but it probably relates to how the type flies on takeoff/landing rather than high/low wing: stays on the line like a heavy pregnant women (my RHS was not flattered with this remark )

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Mar 23:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Low wing all day!
Guys/gals, nothing feels like a low wing.
If you’re flying for work, who cares, it’s all procedures, but if you’re flying for fun, the feel of a low wing is off the chart…

Crisp and responsive roll control (no pendulum delay like a high wing)
Absolute sex appeal (high wing is what fishermen use in Alaska)
And, let’s face it, all the fast planes are low wing.

High = practical, stodgy pickup truck ride
Low = thrilling, fast sports car handling

Consider this the post that throes fuel into the fire. ;)

Being rather tall, 188cm, I just hate banging my head on high wings in the hangar. So can only be a low wing for me!

Belgium
Sign in to add your message