Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

How? By not having the ability to confirm what the Chinese are saying for one, then basing their decisions on that data. I for one would have locked down China and prescreened anyone leaving until test kits to Dx the infection could be invented for this virus and then distributed.

I went through JFK 3 weeks ago and there must have been 1000 Chinese waiting on the immigration line. 60% had masks on. There was a large fan blowing air around instead of ventilators for incoming air and exhaust air. I know that has nothing to do with the WHO but you would think they would quarantine them till we can figure out how to combat this disease.

Im not true how it is, but I was told a lot of flights from China go into Italy. Its a rumor cause I didnt look into it but if true another black eye for the WHO for doing nothing ahead of time. Does anyone know if it is true or not?

You would think the WHO would have contingency plans in place seeing as how mobile and global our world has become. They act as if this is a big surprise. An impossible event that could never happen but did. I mean really.

They the WHO cant force but they can advise to perform certain actions regarding quarantine.

Let me ask you something, how many pandemics originate out of Asia and specifically China? Perhaps if the world is so dependent on China they could clean up their act with a little more sterile and sanitary conditions especially in their food markets.

Do any of you remember the Africanized Bees from Brazil? Why is it the Chinese wont let in the WHO and the US CDC to inspect? They eventually let in the WHO but not the CDC I wonder why?

KHTO, LHTL

By the way quarantine will not stop the disease just give us more time to prep for its eventual onslaught.

KHTO, LHTL

wleferrand wrote:

A doctor might chime in, but I’d guess 15 ltrs/minutes based on the max settings on the equipment I’m collecting for my next O2 system

Most medical O2 systems are capped at 12 or 15 L/min. Our anaesthesia machines can do 18 L/min pure O2 max. Intensive care respirators can do even more. High Flow therapy equipment can reach up to about 80 L/min Flow.

The Flow as such is not the most important value, however. The fiO2 is. That is the percentage of O2 among among the air you inhale. This corresponds with the flow, but not linearly. With nasal cannula you can reach about 40% fiO2, with a mask it’s more like 60% and a mask with a reservoir can reach more. For full effectiveness you need a CPAP mask or an endotracheal tube. All of the most severe (viral) pneumonia patients end up with the latter at some point.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

@C210_Flyer the WHO has no executive powers to do any of the things you propose. Don’t shoot the messenger. From all we know the Chinese initially obfuscated but then pretty much did the right thing.

LeSving wrote:

Make that 1 then.

You’re pretty persistent . Can you reveal us your medical degree because obviously you know better than the doctors who contribute here on the forum?

Last Edited by Emir at 07 Mar 18:20
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The WHO cannot do much except make self evidently blindingly obvious and banal comments on TV because they need to massage the ego of every member country, otherwise they will not get co-operation.

Whenever there is an outbreak of some disease, that country is extremely sensitive to accusations of [whatever]. When HIV started, African countries were really upset at suggestions of how exactly it crossed from monkeys to humans; it was widely alleged that it wasn’t exactly humans eating monkeys

I’ve just been talking to someone in the Aosta ski region and while it would be pretty straightforward to e.g. land at Aosta airport and get a taxi to Cervinia (using disinfectant wipes on the taxi door handles, of course) and stay in an apartment which has its own front door, and where are very few cases in the Aosta region, the biggest risk is that the whole area may be locked down and then you can’t get out of there. You could no doubt escape from the town but you might never be able to depart from the airport. And if you can, you might be forced into a self quarantine at the UK end… that’s if they know you arrived from Italy, for which there is a trivial workaround.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I found the Slovenian guy’s video reassuring. He seemed unaffected.
PS the Blue Mountain poster must be a spoof? Protected sex with animals is o.k. there? And so is unprotected sex with non-native non-domesticated non-feral animals such as zoo tigers?
( I know humans are mammals, which are animals.)

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 07 Mar 21:02
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve just been talking to someone in the Aosta ski region and while it would be pretty straightforward to e.g. land at Aosta airport and get a taxi to Cervinia (using disinfectant wipes on the taxi door handles, of course) and stay in an apartment which has its own front door, and where are very few cases in the Aosta region, the biggest risk is that the whole area may be locked down and then you can’t get out of there. You could no doubt escape from the town but you might never be able to depart from the airport. And if you can, you might be forced into a self quarantine at the UK end… that’s if they know you arrived from Italy, for which there is a trivial workaround.

Apparently that just happened to Lombardy.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Mar 21:38
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I thought this makes for an interesting back of the envelope analysis of numbers. Liz Specht

C210_Flyer wrote:

Let me ask you something, how many pandemics originate out of Asia and specifically China? Perhaps if the world is so dependent on China they could clean up their act with a little more sterile and sanitary conditions especially in their food markets.

Even the black death some 700? years ago originated from China. This is nothing new. The world was a “global” place even then. How many diseases have originated from Europe? How many wars?

I don’t see the purpose of being concerned of where something originates. Everything has to start somewhere.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message