Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

It would have been so much easier if the EU had closed its borders in January, and quarantined the few who have to travel.

I have a question for our US friends here : where in the US can you be fined for being out of home for a non essential reason (like going to the airport) ? It is very state dependant I guess.

And why do you think NY state is so contaminated compared to the other states ?

LFOU, France

So if you would have ruled the world what exactly would you have done?

By ‘you’ I meant @hmng in particular. I’m genuinely interested.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Ted wrote:

Even if that was possible at a political level that would not have worked. We now now that you can be asymptomatic, you can also be negative, after being positive and then become positive again. Possibly because the virus can reactivate AFAIK.

The WHO had experience with SARS (also Corona) and Mers so had the Chinese. Also flights did get suspended but too late. In general, the response was too slow and too half hearted otherwise this thing would likely not have ever left China or even the province where it started.

As for reaktivation, this is one bit where a lot of research will go into. What I was told by people who are into this is that they think it may well be cases which were not really healed fully and tests in between were wrong, but nobody knows. This may well be the most scary bit about this, if it reaktivates, then herd immunity will not work either.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I wonder whether it is true that the Chinese wet markets are fully back in operation?

This is clearly the big problem, but I wonder if international pressure will do anything. Despite being probably the worst country for the environment St. Thunberg & co seem to avoid visiting to go and complain. Instead choosing less important soft targets close to home. There seem few international leaders willing to call out the problems.

aart wrote:

I’m genuinely interested.

I’m interested in ruling the world… ask me ask me please

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The WHO had experience with SARS (also Corona) and Mers so had the Chinese.

Except SARS 1 made it to plenty of places including Switzerland and the UK. Mers is not nearly as infectious.

This is perhaps a worthwhile article to read. https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930129-8

Last Edited by Ted at 14 Apr 11:21
Ted
United Kingdom

For those who still skeptical, as of now we know the virus is highly infectious but there is still a debate on its mortality rates (turns out to be way lower than initially estimated), but yes it still not clear how it interacts with exiting aggregate and standalone mortality sources (ok some will still argue it is already included in exiting morbidities and diseases)

But there are few new things that starts to emerge and could serve as food for thoughts to anyone who still think this is “only short-term heat wave or winter flu that kills only old fats with diabetes and cancer” (sorry for the simplification):
- Recovering from the virus is not the end of story for heart, hepatic and lunge functions even with no symptoms/intubation
- Virus attacks T-cells and has long-term impact on immune system (bit like contracting HIV/SIDA for 1month)
- Virus is still transmitted from infected persons even after their deaths

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1752928X20300718
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20053819v1
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-020-0424-9

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 11:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

And why do you think NY state is so contaminated compared to the other states ?

I’ll throw a couple of ideas in here. Massive population density and very poor decisions / reactions from those in charge, particularly Deblazio

They encouraged massive gatherings for the chinese lunar new year, they encouraged people to keep going to bars and restaurants, when the issues were well known.

It appears the democratic strongholds were more interested in combating perceived racism than the health issues of their citizens.

It would have been so much easier if the EU had closed its borders in January

Each country should have acted fast, isolating the arrivals. If you get the numbers right down you can (probably) get away with contact tracing.

EU border closure is not much good if it is rampant in Italy and then spreads from there as the skiers come back home.

Massive population density

Yes – same as London. The metro is terrible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m interested in ruling the world… ask me ask me please

Look Emir, you have to earn your credentials. Go and grab the power on that nice new airfield that you posted about, and if that goes well I’ll consider giving you more power..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message