Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

DavidS wrote:

Sorry, I just meant that’s when they all go home again :-)

Therefore they should not be allowed to and quarantined in their schools. For as long as it takes.

Either we have a travel ban or not.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I got this link from Avweb. It looks bad for passenger civil aviation.
https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.42.2001624#html_fulltext

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

My friend’s son went off to Uni – Nottingham. And Got It. Which is fine, because now he is immune (yeah, yeah, yeah, three people have apparently been reinfected, maybe). And presumably all the other students there too, either immune or not vulnerable in the first place. So in fact the best possible thing is to send off all the 20-ish year olds to uni, let them party, then after they have recovered plus 14 days, they can do what they want and go where they want.

Sadly some tiny proportion of them will get a bad case, with long term effects. But how does that stack up against all the everyday risks that we all accept – traffic accidents, other contagious diseases etc?

LFMD, France

That’s a very interesting article, Maoraigh.

It does contradict this and they also mention a couple of other flights carrying a CV19 carrier but on which nobody caught anything.

It does suggest the airliner filtration system is not as good as claimed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Up to 70% of all “long Covid” patients from low-risk groups (otherwise young, healthy) may have multiple organ damage of varying degree, the Guardian reports

Last Edited by MedEwok at 16 Nov 09:11
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

More and more data seems to confirm that… not good news.

This from today’s Independent:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Gut feeling is COVID must have kicked off in China maybe as early as August last year. It would have spread to other countries very quickly, maybe a few weeks from the first China cases, and the rest is history. It is interesting that there seems to be few (if any) reports of critical cases between September and December, which is the one data point that seems inconsistent, as I would have expected a few cases of unexplained new disease, but perhaps it is there, buried in the data. I suspect we all feel China reacted far too late, but whether this pushes back just how slow China was even further will be interesting if the truth is ever revealed.

On another tack it is interesting who is getting the vaccine(s). Having had a quick look it would seem America and Japan have done very well, maybe twice the per head rate as the UK. How it will pan out across the vaccines and across countries will be interesting – money talks.

Coronavirus genetic material was identified in Barcelona in sewage water samples dating back to March 2019.

T28
Switzerland

Gut feeling is COVID must have kicked off in China maybe as early as August last year

That’s also my gut feeling. But we should ask ourselves is that just our own prejudices or our own minds trying to avoid the new data? The mind tends to try to make new data fit the existing beliefs.

Perhaps the new data suggests that it started in Italy not China?
Or perhaps it suggests that it started elsewhere and spread but the Chinese were the most ‘on the ball’ and were first to pick up on it?

We have to be careful not to let our own prejudices get in the way and make sure we consider the new data with an open mind.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Perhaps the new data suggests that it started in Italy not China?
Or perhaps it suggests that it started elsewhere and spread but the Chinese were the most ‘on the ball’ and were first to pick up on it?

We have to be careful not to let our own prejudices get in the way and make sure we consider the new data with an open mind.

You are very right here.

There is a distinct chance that it came from Italy and got spread to China, there apparently is a huge traffic of workers between northern Italy and China. Or it can have been imported from China to Italy much earlier than thought and simply not identified. It’s a bit chicken and egg question really.

What becomes abundantly clear unfortunately is that Covid may end up being a symtom of a sick society rather than the actual killer it is portrayed to be. It has been shown that societies where discipline and the general reckognition of authority as well as cultural heritage (Mask wearing in Asia when sick) have dealt with this sucker a darn sight better than “freedom” oriented societies like us, where people mistake freedom with egoism and anarchy.

So maybe Covid “only” is the one virus which brought out this unfortunate state of our society into the light and is now on the best way to destroy that society or at least make a lot of people thing about a better way to deal with it. The way it appears with all the numbers going through the roofs, I would not bet that this will be over anytime soon if ever. Even if a vaccine should become available, there are enough “sceptics” who will refuse taking it, keeping the Virus alive. Either way, it will change society for good and probably in the long run topple quite a few governments who failed to act on it while there was time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message