Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

It is to do with economic recovery, not how many died which is largely determined by the distribution of population density.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

The big difference is that people aren’t dying anymore. Lots of people will test positive, but as long as they are alive and happy, what’s the big deal?

We still get deaths and hospitalisations. They may not be that many (about 30 deaths over the weekend I think) but there not exactly nothing. Those who get ill even on an average severity and those who suffer long covid e.t.c. I would not really describe as happy or even well.

so yes it is a big deal.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How many people live in Switzerland and how many die anyway every day?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Unsurprisingly the US is at the top of the table.

Sure – because the metrics have been obviously designed that way (just comparing US to Germany) :
- People covered by vaccine. Simply factually wrong. They state that the date of their data is June 27th, 2pm HK time (note that by even stating time and timezone they create the comforting illusion of seriosity and correctness). They pretend the vaccinated in the US to be 50.3 while in Germany it has been 43%.
The true number for Germany at this point in time was 53.32% (and the day before if they had a day timely in their data 53.21%

- Lockdown severety: Wrongly quoted. They pretend that US has 47 and Germany 68. As Source they state Oxford government response tracker. If you make the effort and check the source, you figure out that their number is actually 72.69 for the US and 64.35 for Germany

- Flight capacity: Did not check the accuracy of the numbers, but obviously the flight capacity says nothing if you do not differentiate between domestic and international flights.

- Vaccinated travel routes: I can’t comment as I have no clue what that indicator actually says (the explanation is behind a paywall).

So in total from the 4 indicators they use to judge “resilience”, 2 are fake news and the other two are kind of shaky because it is unclear what they have to do with resilience.
On the other hand, some quite straight forward resilience indicators like GDP development, unemployment rates. etc. are not considered for their indicator.

Germany

I guess it depends on the perspective. Personally I have not been “locked down” in any way. Everything has been open, shops, cinema, malls, restaurants. It’s only the trips to GC that are missing

Widerøe was for several weeks (months?) the most-flying airline in Europe. Another airline has come and gone (WizzAir). One has crumbled, but survived (Norwegian) and a brand new one has emerged in the midst of the pandemic, and started flying yesterday with their first flight (Flyr)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Just heard that kids here discovered that if you dip the swab in vinegar, you get 10 days off school.

Does anyone know what activates the C band? Nothing I can find online; clearly the govt is sanitising any posts. But it cannot be something complicated.

Administrator

Same thing as you can “fool” almost all urine pregnancy test.

Question is: Why should you? First of all most kids I know are extremely happy that school slowly started again (an extra 10 days off “all of a sudden” become much less attractive when you just had it for a year. Second They not only get 10 days off, but basically 10 days locked in their room – again not that attractive.
Finally, the entire family will get lockdown as a bonus as well. Don’t think that many kids are dumb enough to go for it…

Germany

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know what activates the C band?

The band contains proteins, which change colour if they react with something, i.e. dissolve. Normally it’s the antigen that reacts with the protein in the test strip, but if you dissolve them in other ways they’ll look the same. This had been discussed months ago here in Switzerland, when people started testing all sorts of stuff with the antigen tests. Obviously some then claimed the tests were unreliable. It’s actually annoying that there is this urban legend that antigen tests were somehow “less reliable” than PCR, where in fact they are more specific. Meaning there is a lower chance for false positives than in most PCR tests.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 01 Jul 13:42

I meant what other ways are there to activate the C band?

I reckon just saliva ought to do it, because on a CV19-negative person that is all one is going to get.

Could even be any bit of liquid with a particular PH.

Administrator

Ah, you meant the control. I don’t know.

Sign in to add your message