Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

In comparison, imagine you get an inflight emergency for which you have a straightforward checklist. The moment the emergency comes on however, you throw away the checklist because it impacts some important passenger’s plans

Is there any way that ordinary people could have a look at such “pandemic checklists”. I’m not aware of any but that is obviously due to my ignorance.

The challenge I see (but that seems to be solved on the “checklists” you know) is again not the checklist itself but defining the entry criteria for the checklist. In your comparison it would mean that you plane has a “something feels wrong” checklist and you blame the pilot for not feeling (or feeling to late) that something feels wrong.
The challenge is, that a pandemic with a new virus is exactly not like “loss of oil pressure” emergency where you have an instrument with a red arc in front of you and in addition in many planes a red light that lights up. For the pilot it is extremely clear that when this light lights up you have to work through the checklist.

And just a practical illustration on how bad I’m personally as a pilot: Even though I had the checklist and was fully aware of it, it took me about 5 minutes after a dual alternator failure to realize it is time for the checklist – as always the first reaction when the light flashes up is “there seems to be a malfunction with the light…”. So even for pilots (as bad as me) it is not that easy all the times …

Germany

Checklists are there to be actioned as soon as a problem arises that you havent dealt with before or as soon as past actions do not produce the expected consequence.

The whole point is to follow the logical progression because without, it is too easy to miss steps a or make assumptions. More important it is also very easy to take an inappropriate action.

With most simple aircraft clearly it may not be quite so critical but it is more critical with anything more complex.

As to Covid I very much doubt anyone had the prescriptive type checklists we have in aviation. At best there will be an action plan, but it will not be in terms of do x, y and z and then depending on the outcome etc.

In medicine, we generally don’t use checklists when things go wrong. We typically use them before things go wrong, to ensure that they don’t. When the “sh’t hits the fan”, we rely on experience and improvisation. The first impulse is to call the most experienced person for help.

In the pandemic situation, nobody in the west had much experience with Coronavirus epidemics.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The corona pandemic checklist

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Anti vaxxers are getting even better organised now.

The latest one, as they are getting kicked off from fb etc, is to spread news about masks, and it is clickbait to take people to the usual anti vaxxer propaganda.

The govt here is preparing vaccine passports, in agreement with lots of countries. It’s going to happen, but will be done in a way which avoids the govt getting in the line of fire.

Finally, the numbers of the most seriously ill are starting to go down, after a huge long lag. This is our local hospital or two

The UK has done 14M as of yesterday. Something is going to start happening soon, one hopes…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is very disappointing how many are playing the system.

Making an appointment, turning up, and the refusing the Oxford vaccine, making another appointment, going back etc, until eventually they get the one they want.

Booking and not turning up.

Not booking because they have another appointment for something they consider more important.

Selfish comes to mind. every missed appointment is someone else who could have gone.

In my area they started on the over 60s today so at least despite or inspite of all they are getting through those who co-operate.

Making an appointment, turning up, and the refusing the Oxford vaccine, making another appointment, going back etc, until eventually they get the one they want.

Anyone who makes an appointment and doesn’t turn up should be told they can indeed have another vaccine, but only after everyone else has been offered one first. Of course there should be a possibility to appeal in case of a genuine reason for missing the appointment (car accident on the way/getting symptoms of covid/death of a family member etc)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Anyone who makes an appointment and doesn’t turn up should be told they can indeed have another vaccine, but only after everyone else has been offered one first. Of course there should be a possibility to appeal in case of a genuine reason for missing the appointment (car accident on the way/getting symptoms of covid/death of a family member etc)

Indeed.

The reality is you just book another appointment until you get the one you want.

Is this happening? I’ve seen no mention of it in the news.

Agree with @dublinpilot, if you decline your appointment or refuse on the day having made it, then back of the queue.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message