Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Interesting side effect of reduced airline ops during Covid-19, degradation of wx forecasting due to lack of data provided by commercial airliners:

www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/05/12/weather-forecasting-coronavirus-flights

That’s interesting. This has come up before and, in Europe, airliner data is apparently not used much. IIRC, Lufthansa was feeding its data back to the German national wx forecasting service, DWD, only. Here ya go.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that in the UK, freedom of movement is restored before reopening of shops. In France, it is the contrary. Malls are open but mass is still forbidden (the crisis shows brutally the thinking of our elite I think).

I guess it is based on the fact that the French economy is mainly based on French people buying junk stuff. Apparently, that’s the reason why recession will be higher in France too.

Out of 19 million private sector employees, 12 are paid by the government not to work.You can add the 3+million unemployed.
The numbers speak by themselves.

Lesving, very interesting numbers on your R factor without lockdown :)

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 May 07:14
LFOU, France

the French economy is mainly based French people buying junk stuff

I think that is quite similar to another one not far to the north of France

It is hard to see how many £1 t-shirts one actually needs, but it has been empirically proven that the number is very close to infinity

Lesving, very interesting numbers on your R factor without lockdown :)

If you can’t leave the house because (Norway) it is OVC001 +TSRA 30G45, R will definitely be below 1

Administrator

this is the “METAR” right now

Huge chaos when driving to work. Don’t think the R will be affected, and the virus likes it cold they say

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Many areas of France (eg Brittany) have more in common with the UK, particularly Cornwall than they do with Paris. Not everyone is out shopping for junk. Good quality food is the most important purchase and perhaps a little wine and maybe a few hand made chocolates as a little bit of extra luxury. The Parisiens are more for Macdonalds and cheap Chinese clothes than the Bretons who prefer to buy second hand quality stuff if not buying food and wine.:)

France

LeSving wrote:

this is the “METAR” right now

…and this the TAF for the airbase 4 km from my home airfield.

TAF ESCM 130600Z 1306/1314 35015G27KT 2000 SHSNRA BKN008 TEMPO 1306/1309 1000 SHSN BKN005 PROB30 1306/1309 TS TEMPO 1306/1314 35014KT NSW BKN025 RMK MIL

:-(

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The virus is disappearing quite steadily around here, and for another data point on the area which includes Isles of Scilly

This is an article well worth reading, for those who still think this is just a small illness for most.

I heard recently that “recreational” drugs are a big risk factor but there is a reluctance in the media to report this because a lot of them, particularly the “London set” are taking them! This seems to have been known for some time; these are questions from a risk questionnaire which goes back to the start of the European epidemic

Administrator

gallois wrote:

Good quality food is the most important purchase and perhaps a little wine and maybe a few hand made chocolates as a little bit of extra luxury.

Vive la France

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t think people eat in McDonalds in Paris except teenagers, most goes to restaurants or cook for themselves (well products are less good than Brittany), and yes main budget is healthy food, for cloths, there are good deals of 3 t-shirts for 2€ at Decathlon, also cheap golfers pants at 5€ that are even nice to wear at work or in weddings, I better save some money for flying, so can’t afford fashion

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 May 11:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message