Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One-person tent for carrying in a plane, and cooking

tmo wrote:

Peter, time for that TBM, eh? ;)

The only time when one go camping in TBM is when they run out of juice

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes good point about avgas. I have to smile a bit though, knowing how GA mechanics almost universally use copious amounts of avgas as a general purpose solvent / aircraft cleaner / etc.

I am still looking for one of these – Crazy Creek Air Chair Sleeping Pad Combo

but all the products I find are US based and the companies all say they don’t do business with Europe “due to GDPR”. One outfit in Oz and some in the US are flogging them on Ebay, with a big shipping cost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you want a seat the helinox lightweight ones are small and really pretty good. I have a small one for myself in the plane and a cheap bigger chinese knockoff which can go in the aircraft, or cars if going to an event or trip somewhere.

I don’t think any of those can be used in a tent; the legs would go through the bottom.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am still looking for one of these – Crazy Creek Air Chair Sleeping Pad Combo

Maybe https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/185-Therm-A-Rest-Trekker-Chair-Kit-20/

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I don’t think any seat will be of much use inside a 2 man tent. It has no back support so you’d need to prop it against something, of which there will be nothing suitable and insufficient space inside the tent.

Seats are for outside.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

That Therm-A-Rest product is only for the narrower version (51cm) of the mattress.

It should not need propping up against something; that is the whole idea of it AIUI.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t think any of those can be used in a tent; the legs would go through the bottom.

It’s been a while since I’ve had mine out but I think it has round rubber / plastic covers on the feet. I would think if you just cut a couple of small bits of a cheap yoga type pad that would spread the load to protect the bottom if you wished to use it inside.

Peter wrote:

It should not need propping up against something; that is the whole idea of it AIUI.

I don’t see how to be honest. If it relies on your lower body to keep it upright, then surely that weight is lost as soon as you lean back? I’ve never tried one, so maybe I’m missing something.

Leaving the feet issue aside, I don’t think the helinox ones will work inside a 2 man tent, as you’ll be too high up…your head would be through the roof. If not, it would be uncomfortably close.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes in any sort of chair you will end up too high. The 2-man tents tend to have a ~1m ceiling.

The device appears to work by sitting on the lower part putting enough weight on it to support your back. This self evidently does work without any device if you sit up at 90 degrees (actually this is quite hard for most people, due to lack of flexibility). So the viability depends on the angle at which you want to lean back. Once you go past a certain angle you will tip over backwards

Administrator
Sign in to add your message