Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A question for AMEs

Somebody has failed their Class 2 due to ECG showing ‘right bundle branch block’ and ‘left articular fasciular block’.

What is the route to getting a Class 2?

It won’t be cheap, but that is not the Q

@frank @justin perhaps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

See a cardiologist (ideally one familiar with, or willing to become familiar with, the CAA requirements) have a consultation, some basic testing (likely including an echocardiogram, a 24hr ECG and an exercise ECG) and assuming all is well, Cardiologist issues report to the AME who will review it against the AVmed regulatory requirements, load it onto the pilots CAA medical record and issue Certificate (with or without restrictions depending on the report/results).

Time to complete, 1-2 weeks, circumstance depending (like covid).

Costs – very locality dependent.

In a nutshell (with my AME and Cardiologist hats on!)

jc

EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Interesting @Justin – many thanks.

Presumably this is in the region of 2k-3k? An ultrasonic scan is close to 1k, an ECG treadmill is maybe £500, and a few hundred for reports, plus AME extras.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

24hr EKG + Exercise EKG would cost about 100€ in Germany, don’t know about the reports to the AME. Any GP can do a 24 hr EKG here, but not all of them do it.

Is there any source to look up the CAA requirements?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes the CAA website has the relevant guidance.

In my neck of the woods it would be approx £550 – 600 for the lot (consult + report, echo, tape, treadmill, hospital fees, admin etc etc).

But as I say it’s locality depending.

J

Last Edited by Justin at 14 May 15:17
EGNV and Fishburn Airfield
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message