Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France "Citizen's Climate Convention"

Genius… not.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/12/france-ban-some-domestic-flights-train-available-macron-climate-convention-mps
sorry I missed earlier posts…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 12 Apr 12:01
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

sorry I missed earlier posts…

The article is much more elaborate.

The question will be: How will the law be interpreted? What flights really are banned? Almost all GA flights, commercial or not, fall under this cathegory in terms of distance and time involved.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

So how is this going to work? Im in Bordeaux … How do I get a flight to Houston if I cant fly from Bordeaux to Paris? I guess I could fly to London or Amsterdam, but that doesnt always work with connections… Now think about living, say 30mins North of Paris CDG, and you want to go see family living 30 mins west of Bordeaux… It may be less than 2.5hrs from Paris Montparnasse to Bordeaux Central on a Non-stop TGV (they dont all go direct), but have you tried getting from the Atlantic coast to the center of Bordeaux? Not to mention from North of CDG to Montparnasse..?!?

This whole thing is a complete joke!!

The law forbids scheduled flights from Paris (ORY and CDG) to Nantes LFRS, Lyon LFLL and Bordeaux LFBD.

SD’s point is right.
The 2h30 rule is valid if you live inside Paris which is the case for our politicians but not all the people (a fact they seem to forget )

LFOU, France

The ban only applies to flights from / to Paris-Orly.
You can still purchase a straight BOD-CDG flight on Air France website.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 12 Apr 14:37

Guillaume wrote:

You can still purchase a straight BOD-CDG flight on Air France website.

According to LFHNflightstudent’s link the law is not yet in effect.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The law is indeed not yet in force.
However, I just read the voted law. It says the ban doesn’t apply to scheduled flights which are “mostly” connecting flights.
It’s likely that flights connecting to the AF hub at CDG will be considered as such.
To be confirmed.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 12 Apr 15:03

BA and Lufthansa will be happy! It’s going to easier and quicker to connect through LHR / FRA / MUC from Bordeaux and Nantes than through Paris.
As usual, the greenies don’t think (and prob90 don’t care) about connecting flights.

Admittedly, the SNCF run TGVs directly to CDG, but train travel is a PITA (especially with bags) and at least last time I had to take one of these things on the BOD-CDG line they only ran about 4 times a day. Great. Not.

172driver wrote:

but train travel is a PITA

Well…. Opinions differ. I fly for fun, but I really don’t think that airline flying as pax is any fun at all – with or without luggage. The only advantage airline flying has is speed and that only over longer distances. That aside, I’d take the train any day.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

172driver wrote: but train travel is a PITA

Well…. Opinions differ. I fly for fun, but I really don’t think that airline flying as pax is any fun at all – with or without luggage. The only advantage airline flying has is speed and that only over longer distances. That aside, I’d take the train any day.

What they are going to do in 20 years when some solution is found for carbon-neutral flight, but there are no runways left?
The same was done with the train travel in the UK 50 years ago, lots of stations were closed and lots of tracks were removed and now its “what have we done?!”.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message