Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA CRT: Publication of NPA 2020-14 Simpler, lighter and better Part-FCL requirements for general aviation (Subtask 2)

alioth wrote:

There, your BFR can be done in anything you’re rated in, and counts for everything.

Don’t know the US regulations that well – but I seriously doubt that it is a good idea you can do a BFR in an ASK21 and it is valid towards your B747 typerating.

Electric flying and piston engine flying requires substantially different approaches to risk management, operational practices, etc. Therefore I would consider it already a “risk based approach” that EASA decided to not require a different class rating but you can use your single engine piston one. Actually I would even argue that the difference between a piston airplane and an equivalent one with an electrical engine are even bigger than the one between piston and one with a small PT6.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 15 Dec 12:06
Germany

your BFR can be done in anything you’re rated in

Correct for Part 91, my last BFR in a Super Cub would be OK for both SE and ME ATP. However, I need to be current on my FAA IR currency to exercise the instrument privileges – or the BFR would need to include an IPC (instrument proficiency check).

Currency and licensing under Part 135 and Part 121 does require line checks in type, although there may be a 747 out there operating under Part 91.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

If your jumbo B747 can be flown VFR with an FAA PPL then you can do your BFR on K13 and it’s valid for 2 years

You can also count K13 hours for the issue of your 1500h FAA ATP but you need lot of patience !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

You can also count K13 hours for the issue of your 1500h FAA ATP but you need lot of patience !

Actually, isn’t an hour the same at 30kts and at 300kts? ;)
Having seen how much the guys that fly a Pipistrel Virus are having just sailing in the wave, they might be on to something. They did FL160 a couple weeks ago, just because they could.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Ibra wrote:

Well, 1500 hours passes at the same rate regardless of the aircraft you’re flying, so no more patience than in a SEP or MEP (and considerably less money). There are gliding sites in the US where there’s lift more often than not, and you can stay up for hours at a time and pretty much do a diamond distance every weekend.

Andreas IOM

It depends where you do gliding: my first try was in winter in RAF Halton gliding club, it was winch only and 6am to 6pm operations with 3 flights each 5min a day if you are lucky, I had load of power hours before trying so managed to go solo in gliders after 27 flights on winch but it took all my weekends in 3 months, it will be painful to get an FAA ATP with this rythme

I discovered later that you can fly 5h/day in your own glider on Aerotow or ridges without having to open/close hangar or call the duty instructor Sir

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Dec 13:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The US “BFR” system cannot be adopted no matter how much safer – for obvious political reasons.

For a start, an FAA CFI/CFII is totally freelance. In Europe, you cannot trust individuals like that! I mean, standards will drop all the way to rock bottom. People might even forget what N-D-B stands for. Sacrilege!!

Joking apart, this is why we have the CBIR which is only very slightly more accessible than the JAA/EASA IR. How many years later? Sure you can do 30hrs with a freelance IRI but how many of them are out there? Nearly zero.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure you can do 30hrs with a freelance IRI but how many of them are out there? Nearly zero.

Hence my question in another thread. Piston GA in Europe will have two ‘pools’: the home built/Annex 1/grass roots/LSA type which if it stays outside CAS, is reasonably un molested; and the touring, IR/IRR segment, which will continue to gravitate to N reg.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The US “BFR” system cannot be adopted no matter how much safer – for obvious political reasons.

For a start, an FAA CFI/CFII is totally freelance. In Europe, you cannot trust individuals like that! I mean, standards will drop all the way to rock bottom. People might even forget what N-D-B stands for. Sacrilege!!

Eh… The US BFR system is essentially what EASA has for SEP. And you can do it with a freelance instructor. No need to use a DTO or ATO. If you need a PC, then again you can use a freelance PC examiner. If your SEP has actually lapsed a freelance instructor can do the refresher training for non-High Performance aircraft.

Sure you can do 30hrs with a freelance IRI but how many of them are out there? Nearly zero.

Considering that there are nearly zero, we must be very lucky to have two as members of my club.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Dec 15:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you compare the revalidation requirements of a Euro FI with those of a US FI, there is a big difference, which translates to much more availability in the US system.

You are indeed lucky to have any IRIs around It’s hard for them to make money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message