Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA CRT: Publication of NPA 2020-14 Simpler, lighter and better Part-FCL requirements for general aviation (Subtask 2)

gallois wrote:

In France you can choose your examiner from a list supplied by the DGAC or you will choose one that your ATO suggests. Whichever is the most convenient.

Same here.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was not meaning to imply being able to select a DPE is a bad thing, I agree it is good, as is a way to learn about an “edge case” one might want to avoid. I think you can ask for a specific examiner in Poland as well, and the schools usually have ones they work with; not that I have had much experience, but never a bad one, knock on fiberglass.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

@Peter that must be a UK thing. In France you can choose your examiner from a list supplied by the DGAC or you will choose one that your ATO suggests. Whichever is the most convenient.

France

That’s really funny. Yes; it is sad that people end up posting this stuff. I had a really grumpy DPE in Arizona, too. I normally keep away from Reddit – a horribly structured site.

But, actually, it is a good thing that you can do this. In Europe, you could not because generally the examiner is allocated to you by the CAA, and if you get a bad one, you can do very little about it. When I was going for my JAA IR test, I was warned by one FTO instructor that one of the CAA-allocated examiners is a total sadist (was “debriefing” a flight until 10pm) and if I get him allocated I must phone in “sick” and keep doing that until I get another one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Examples, please, from the US.

A whole site for ranking DPEs; example

A good recommendation from reddit; and another one.

And some not-so-great ones from reddit as well; some people delete the original complaint, but the comments paint a picture

And, to top it all up, some more experiences so that people can judge for themselves.

Last Edited by tmo at 16 Dec 14:04
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Ibra wrote:

As far as I can see for CBIR, it does give the option for freelance IRIs but it seems to work only in two options 1/ in “club” with touring fleet where both instructors & students are “member of the club”? or 2/ student & instructor are based in the same airfield and one of them is an aircraft owner?

CB-IR cases the way I see them:
1) Pilots that own a plane and want personal and more individual instruction. I teach all over europe if desired. I do it because I enjoy working with people. Remuneration is, as has been mentioned, second to doing something fun and rewarding for a little extra cash.

2) Pilots that have access to a plane, or can rent one, and save a few thousand € by going the CB IR way.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Based on how unreasonable they are, mainly, not necessarily on cost.

Examples, please, from the US.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

If no freelance IRI nearby (+no IAP, +no touring aircraft), I don’t see how much help one can get from the “FAA system”?

The Canadian licensing system is more helpful here. Only 5 hours of dual instrument flight time for the Canadian IR needs to be received from the holder of an ICAO FI (including IRI) rating/certificate. The remaining 35 hours of instrument instruction can be obtained as dual instrument flight time from any ICAO CPL+IR or ATPL+IR holder, who has 500 h PIC. This is not particularly useful if the instruction is done on a non–Annex I aircraft in UK/EU owing to the requirement in FCL.900(a)(1)(ii) for the instructor to hold an appropriate certificate issued iaw Part-FCL.

@RobertL18C FCL.900(a)(1)(ii) should address a Q you raised in another thread. The rule does not apply to persons instructing on non–Annex I aircraft flown in the UK but registered elsewhere than in the UK when the aircraft operator resides, is established, or is principally based outside the UK. It does not appear that ANO art 253 (restriction on commercial operations in aircraft registered elsewhere than in an EEA state) will be altered on IP completion day by SI 2019 No 645.

London, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Still sounds like EASA doesn’t trust the very instructors it gave licences to, if you cannot do ALL of the 40 required CB-IR hours with a freelance instructor.

Almost sounds like EASA doesn’t trust the examiners to fail the people who come to a flight check not prepared well enough. ;)

On that note, over in FAA-land there is a significant amount of DPE-shopping going on, isn’t there? Based on how unreasonable they are, mainly, not necessarily on cost.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Airborne_Again wrote:

That may be, but your point was that EASA don’t trust freelance instructors in this case. They do. Also, as you might know, 30 hrs (out of 40) of CB-IR training and probably all of BIR training can be done with freelance instructions.

Still sounds like EASA doesn’t trust the very instructors it gave licences to, if you cannot do ALL of the 40 required CB-IR hours with a freelance instructor.

Andreas IOM
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message