Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your 2020 flying year, how many hours, and aspirations for 2021?

I used to have such idea years ago. Not just to bimble around, but to make it a legit cross country, possibly in spring or autumn. Precisely, the idea was to leave northern Germany as late as possible in the evening (say 10:00 p.m) and first fly to somewhere in southern-central France as a fuel stop at say 2 a.m. Continue half an hour later and land at 6:30h in the morning at say La Axarquia in southern Spain, to have breakfast on the beach an hour later.

I was never worried about falling asleep really, but in the end, I never put it into practice though, as:

• I would be totally knackered for at least a day, thus eliminating any time advantage gained from traveling during the night .
  • what for? fun it isn’t
  • the flights would have been very boring
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I would not do this either because at my age I like my creature comforts but there are lots of things “we” don’t do once we have been flying 20+ years, because they are “boring”

OTOH there are lots of people who would rather die than pee into a bottle (which I will happily do all day) so they can never fly for more than x hours, where x will reduce linearly with age, starting at 2 at age 50 and reducing to 0.1 at age 80 (with different numbers for females) And flying for x hrs is hardly worth doing when one can drive the distance in less time than it takes to drive to the airport, get the plane out, etc…

I think CharlieRomeo is doing just great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At 90 hours total in 2020 the lowest number since 1997. Not because of flying or instruction restrictions; rather covid-19 hit me indirectly through general travel restrictions, and through my family, closed schools etc.
Aspirations – I am not expecting miracles regarding flying hours, just some improvement upon last year. I hope to take up instrument instruction again, have started preparing a course for the new BIR (basic instrument rating).

Last Edited by huv at 10 Jan 12:01
huv
EKRK, Denmark

The other plans are to use the IR more- and to do a night flight in the literal sense. The idea is to take off at our unlighted grass field as close to EECT as possible, fly through the whole night at loitering power and land the next day at the same field at BMCT. This is doable for an Aquila 210 with full tanks around the summer solstice, so the date for this is pretty much fixed. I know this might sound crazy, but I calculated that it can be done- so I have to try!

No need for loitering. Just go east and see the sun come up a little earlier. While you’re at it, aim for the Red Square and do a “Matthias Rust”. It’s been too long. Russian Air Defence may still be asleep at that time of day. And don’t worry, we’ll do a donation round on EuroGA to bail you out.

It’s actually a very nice idea, such an all-nighter!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

CharlieRomeo wrote:

fly through the whole night

The solstice is approaching – is this still happening @CharlieRomeo ?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@Capitane No, unfortunately not. When I started to plan for this flight, the exact dates of the final exams for the course I am currently in had not been set. They have been in the meantime, and I have an exam both on the Friday and Monday surrounding the weekend in question. Because the course is crucial for my further career, and I do not want to be neither sleepy nor worried about getting stuck somewhere in the middle of the night, I decided it is wiser to let this opportunity go and try again next year.

At least the successful exams will lead to more money to spend on flying ;)

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

late on the bandwagon of this thread, as still pretty fresh on EuroGA
The 2020 hype also deprived me of most of the flying projects I had, but kinda did ok with 216hrs logged. The highlights were: A dash to the Stromboli and Sicily. A week-end in the Czech Republic followed by a few days in Poland and northern Germany. Another trip to Austria for the Igo Etrich fly-in at Krems. And finally a round the Swiss border (following the very jagged contours of the border as closely as possible) out of desperation flight.

As far as of today, my aspirations for 2021 are pretty much doomed… I’m vaccine hesitant, and they are still too many countries with overly restrictive policies. Also, living in a minute place such as CHE doesn’t help any… keep bumping against those stupid borders

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

CharlieRomeo wrote:

crucial for my further career

Real life… Good to be looking over the horizon, and I hope the exams went well

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
78 Posts
Sign in to add your message