Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

That quote of 79% being fleet operators is from the British Association of motor manufacturers.
On petrol cars staff pay tax on them as a benefit in kind. They don’t on EVs.
Those who don’t get a car as benefits in kind can also get a reduction on their National Insurance payments.
All quotes from BMMA.

France

GB news reports today:-
“According to the New AutoMotive’s Electric Car Count, petrol car registrations fell eight percent in July, while electric cars have grown by 90 percent.

In 2019, petrol accounted for almost two-thirds of new cars, with declining numbers now seeing petrol cars fall below 45 per cent."

France

@Airborne_Again Certainly, the simple fact that you do not need to install very many of them.

Perhaps it is more the low population itself rather than the low density, but the low density implies more space and thus more people who can charge at home, and thus even few public charge points required.

EGLM & EGTN

That quote of 79% being fleet operators is from the British Association of motor manufacturers.
On petrol cars staff pay tax on them as a benefit in kind. They don’t on EVs.
Those who don’t get a car as benefits in kind can also get a reduction on their National Insurance payments.
All quotes from BMMA.

The UK income tax information on benefit-in-kind is well out of date.

Income tax for cars as “benefit in kind” is 2% of new price per year for pure battery electric cars and for plug-in hybrids with > 130 miles electric range. It rises in steps to 14% for plug-in hybrids with less than 30 miles electric range. Hybrids without plug in charging are taxed the same as any other car, 15% to 37%.

The “reduction on national insurance payment” has nothing to do with electric or not. The employee has to pay income tax on benefit in kind, but not national insurance.

Given that that element is no longer accurate, I wonder about the 79 percent figure and exactly about what it measures, and when.

Biggin Hill

LPG, that’s also a thing. During the electricity “crisis” some of people got themselves these small LPG stoves. They use the same bottles as we normally use for BBQs, campers etc. The stoves cost no more than €100. One such stove heats rather substantially, about 4000 W max. The price per kWh becomes around € 0.25, much cheaper than electric heating when the price got closer to €1 per kWh.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Graham wrote:

@Airborne_Again Certainly, the simple fact that you do not need to install very many of them.

With more population, more people will be driving around with EVs you would need more charging points, won’t you?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes that’s what I mean. In Sweden and Norway there are far fewer people, so you need far fewer charging points.

Sorry, the ‘you’ in that sentence you quote of mine referred to you folks in Scandinavia.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

unless I could charge at home

What exactly is the problem of installing a 2-5 kW wall “charger” (10-32 A single phase) ? That’s what most people in Norway do. The “charger” + installation costs about €500. 2.3 kW home charging is more than enough. Some install 11 or 22 kW, but that usually requires much higher installation costs (manifolds), and is IMO completely wasted money. A say “charger”, because these aren’t chargers, The charger is in the car. These things are simply fancy “ON/OFF” switches.

For many years I have simply used the “Schuko charger” that you can plug into any socket. That also works perfectly, but is today not allowed for new charging points. But even that is more than enough for everyday use.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What exactly is the problem of installing a 2-5 kW wall “charger” (10-32 A single phase) ? That’s what most people in Norway do. The “charger” + installation costs about €500. 2.3 kW home charging is more than enough.

To be honest, what I’ve seen today in the UK is that the car parked some distance from the house (my previous place it was ~20m and over the road). And it is much worse for the apartments.
Plus, for the added UK-specific fun, even if you could install, you have neighbours that would start whining about planning permissions etc…

EGTR

@Cobalt
From the UK Governent website:-
Tax on company cars
You’ll pay tax if you or your family use a company car privately, including for commuting.

You pay tax on the value to you of the company car, which depends on things like how much it would cost to buy and the type of fuel it uses.

This value of the car is reduced if:

you have it part-time
you pay something towards its cost
it has low CO2 emissions
If your employer pays for fuel you use for personal journeys, you’ll pay tax on this separately.

If you drive a hybrid
If your company car has CO2 emissions of 1 to 50g/km, the value of the car is based on its zero emission mileage figure, or ‘electric range’. This is the distance the car can go on electric power before its batteries need recharging.

Contact your employer to find out your car’s zero emission mileage figure.

Plus this:-
Employers must pay Class 1A National Insurance contributions on the benefits. Contributions are based on the taxable value of cars and fuel given to employees. The rate of contributions is 13.8%. Employers must use the car benefit and fuel scale charges when calculating these.

I don’t think this is very different from the information I quoted.

France
Sign in to add your message