Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What can you do when your airfield closes "due to coronavirus" and your engine goes rusty?

Pilot currency? Same as every winter… One can always fly with an instructor if you’re that worried about not being up to it.

I disagree There is no good reason, other than simple capitulation, for so many GA pilots packing it in totally for the six “winter” months. And a flight with an FI, after a few months, is of minimal help.

Of course we all know that many do just pack up but they are mostly renters who have no “stake” in the ownership business, plus some strip flyers who escaped landing fees only to be waterlogged for a few months each year.

On a boat, everything happens so slowly that accidents are almost impossible

Engine health flights? A term invented way back in time – well March 2020!

One might allege this is being abused but there are many owners who do care about their planes and their own currency.

Fortunately in the UK we have a govt minister who is a GA pilot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You’d be surprised :-)

9 or 10 knots under sail feels a heck of a lot faster than 100+ knots in an aeroplane!

Last Edited by Graham at 05 Feb 16:20
EGLM & EGTN

The difference Is that CSIR (controlled sailing into rocks) is less lethal than CFIT, and engine failures lead to longer times on the water rather than shorter time in the air…

Back to topic – maybe this is simply how the economics have changed. I guess that the cost and hassle of engine repairs these days compared to the aircraft value is much higher than 40 years ago, and that we find more defects that need to be addressed because we have better diagnostics (oil analysis, borescoping) so even minor corrosion can mean massive costs, while ages ago you would fly until the engine developed obvious faults, and then you overhauled it.

It’s a bit like somebody buying an old luxury car and discovering part prices are clearly a %age of new…

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Maybe this is simply how the economics have changed. I guess that the cost and hassle of engine repairs these days compared to the aircraft value is much higher than 40 years ago, and that we find more defects that need to be addressed because we have better diagnostics (oil analysis, borescoping) so even minor corrosion can mean massive costs, while ages ago you would fly until the engine developed obvious faults, and then you overhauled it.

All that is right, but it also means owning a (depreciated) aircraft and flying it today is less expensive overall, and no less safe. Engines are still and should still be operated based on condition, with reasonable inspection criteria applied that align with long term field experience. The ability to measure and inspect better does not imply an ability to understand and predict better – misunderstanding this is a modern disease that also applies to a lot of other things…

The old luxury car analogy is a very good one, except that old aircraft are mechanically simple by comparison – it’s just the cost of parts and component overhauls that can be high. This opens up the opportunity for creativity in getting simple jobs done without breaking the bank.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Feb 17:20

Peter wrote:

Oh ye of little faith…

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

Indeed everything happens slowly – including evasive action!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“Pilot currency? Same as every winter… One can always fly with an instructor if you’re that worried about not being up to it.”
This winter the instructors are as out-of-currency as me.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I will freely admit. I don’t enjoy people trying to interfere with my personal freedoms for no good reason.

However, I think leaving an aircraft to sit for long periods inactive in possibly cold damp conditions is really not good, and currency is important, especially if you fly into more interesting challenging places.

Whilst engines are the main focus. I do also really think there is something about avionics / electrics suffering when an aircraft isn’t used. I was forced to be down for a quite a while by my airfield a year or two ago. When we eventually could fly I had a few electrical squawks including an erratic tach reading. and part of one of the LCD displays failing to display properly. I eventually got everything sorted, but it did take some time.

Like with cars, some people are happy to run on minimum maintenance, some like to go over everything frequently.

My engine is pickled (I hope). At least my engineer tells me the plane is in a near coma and should not rust out….

Tököl LHTL
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message